Oct 1, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Remember when everyone got excited to find out that German-born David Yelldell was eligible to play for the United States. Then we all realized there must be a reason that he had never quite moved past the German lower leagues. At any rate, Yelldell turns 31 on Monday.
Malaga attacker Júlio César Baptista, a Brazilian international, turns 31 as well.
Juventus and Montenegro international Mirko Vucinic turns 29.
Finally, 1995 FIFA World Player of the Year George Weah (pictured) turns 46. Today, Weah is a politician and humanitarian who in 2004 won an Arthur Ashe Courage Award for his efforts.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
We should find out more today about Galaxy center back A.J. DeLaGarza, who needed to be helped into the locker room in the first half of last night’s L.A.-Colorado contest. This won’t be the devastating defensive blow that Omar Gonzalez’s los earlier this year was to the champs – but it’s not ideal, for sure. DeLaGarza is easily the best central partner Bruce Arena has to pair with Gonzalez.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Kerry Zavagnin
*Ahead on the blog today: MLS Team of the Week and MLS Player of the Week. (There are a couple of good candidates, including three-goal man Alvaro Saborio and three-assist man Thierry Henry, who also threw in a goal in at the end. Anybody? Anybody?) Plus, a whole bunch of other stuff. You should probably check back. A lot.
If the MLS playoffs started today (following 28 rounds):
- Houston at D.C. United
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- Chicago vs. New York Red Bulls
- Vancouver Whitecaps at Seattle
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. L.A. Galaxy
PST background noise while blogging today: For the first day of Rock-tober, it’s got to be music. Probably go with KGSR out of Austin.
We’ll leave you with this: After his team put a serious 4-1 whuppin’ on Toronto FC, Red Bulls manager Hans Backe took time (out of nowhere) to complain about the Red Bull Arena Field. Said it was the probably “the worst pitch in the league.” Hmmm. What’s that man got up his Swedish sleeve? Trying to get Chicago thinking about it before the Fire’s upcoming visit? Trying add some pressure on team officials to spend a little more green on the RBA green? Let’s watch this one.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- Klinsmann confirms Brad Guzan will start Confederations Cup playoff in goal 1
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 7
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0