Oct 1, 2012, 9:38 AM EDT
Pay special attention to this while examining the on-going playoff race, especially as it concerns the tightly packed East:
Clubs and supporters have recognized all year that a new playoff format made a top-three finish highly preferable to a fourth- or fifth-place finish. Those bottom finishers among the five play an extra match – or as my NBC colleague Brian Dunseth put it the other night during the important Eastern Conference contest in Kansas City, “It puts one more match between you and MLS Cup.”
So the math is pretty simple: the higher finish the better, clearly – but be sure to avoid those last two spots at all costs.
Well, allow me to throw one more wrinkle in this playoff crinkle: Finishing fourth is highly preferable to finishing fifth.
Why? If your club is forced to deal with that mid-week, winner-take-all one-gamer, the new “wildcard” playoff match in each conference, far, far better to host than to travel. (The fourth place side hosts the match.)
The regular season concludes with three matches on Sunday, Oct. 28. Wild-card matches (4th place vs. 5th place) will be played on the following Wednesday (Oct. 31) or Thursday (Nov. 1).
The conference semifinal first leg matches will begin that Saturday (Nov. 3) or and that Sunday (Nov. 4).
So, consider that as you look at he current Eastern Conference standings:
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 12
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 7
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- HBT: Angels' Trout hits for cycle against Mariners
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team