Oct 2, 2012, 9:56 AM EST
The news on A.J. DeLaGarza isn’t crushing for the Galaxy, but it’s certainly not great, either.
Looks like the starting center back will miss the rest of the regular season; the L.A. Times reported so this morning.
There is no question that a back line, right to left, of Sean Franklin, DeLaGarza, Omar Gonzalez and Todd Dunivant is the optimum Galaxy foursome.
This will surely make Galaxy fans nervous, recalling the bad old days of the spring when Andrew Boyens, Tommy Meyer and David Junior Lopes rotated in and out alongside DeLaGarza as the club foraged desperately to identify a central defensive combo that worked. Each combo seemed as ineffective as the last one as everyone paying attention gained even more appreciation for 2011 MLS Defender of the Year Omar Gonzalez.
This will not turn into the same frustrating exercise; Gonzalez, now healthy and performing with zeal once again, ensures as much.
On the other hand, this increases the chances that Seattle and Real Salt Lake will nick the Galaxy in the race for second and third place in the West. Everyone is straining to avoid fourth and fifth, which means an extra playoff game and the additional wear-and-tear involved prior to a conference semifinal series.
At the very least, the Galaxy need not worry about falling all the way to fifth. That will be Vancouver or Dallas, no doubt.
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research shows less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 0
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park