Oct 2, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
U.S. international midfielder Mikkel Diskerud (pictured) turns 22. He was a member of the U.S. under-23 team that missed on Olympic qualifying and now plays for Norwegian power Rosenborg BK. (Oh, you can call him “Mix.”)
West Ham United legend Trevor Brooking, capped 47 times for England back in the day, turns 64. He remained in the game after retirement as an analyst and administrator.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
UEFA Champions League Match Day No. 2 kicks off today. In action today are Chelsea, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Valencia, Celtic, Barcelona and Manchester United. The day’s full schedule is here.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): John Kerr Jr.
*Ahead on the blog today: The weekly MLS rankings around mid-day. Plus, we’re all over Champions League like salt all over fries.
What you should watch on TV today:
Featured Champions League matches on Fox Soccer Channel are:
- Spartak Moscow-Celtic at noon ET
- Cluj-Manchester United at 2 p.m. ET
- Norddsjaelland-Chelsea at 5 p.m. ET (delay)
- Benfica-Barceloa at 7 p.m. ET (delay)
If the MLS playoffs started today (following 28 rounds):
- Houston at D.C. United
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- Chicago vs. New York Red Bulls
- Vancouver Whitecaps at Seattle
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. L.A. Galaxy
PST background noise while blogging today: Scanning for BBC and podcast bits on Champions League.
We’ll leave you with this: I know the NFL is the kind-daddy of American team sports (and I like it, too). But doesn’t it seem a little inadequate that teams in the NFL, for all its collective muscle and might, have just one title for which to compete? Having Champions League (or Europa League), plus cup competitions really does expand our sports loveliness in wonderful ways and dimensions, doesn’t it?
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- WATCH: Incredible 60-yard pass leads Montreal ouster of Pachuca in CONCACAF Champions League 1
- Tuesday’s Premier League roundup: Saints, Villa win; Hull, Sunderland draw 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: Toronto FC 0
- Aston Villa 2-1 West Bromwich Albion: Late drama hands Sherwood first win (video) 0
- Southampton 1-0 Crystal Palace: Mane’s late goal gets Saints back on track (video) 0
- Update on MLS labor strike: Players Union, league at impasse as situation looks dire 8