Oct 2, 2012, 8:24 AM EDT
The folks around Sounder at Heart, the excellent blog on all things Seattle Sounders, support Adrian Hanauer’s bid for reinstatement as the club’s General Manager.
But in an admirable effort to dodge the dangers of groupthink, they have penned a post on “the case against Hanauer.”
It’s interesting, even if some of the points against Hanauer are clearly a stretch. (Which is what a writer is left holding when trying to make a case that he really does not truly believe in, one just there for sake of representing an opposition viewpoint.)
The chief reasons would be a sketchy history of Designated Player selection and a lack of MLS playoff success so far.
As for the DP argument: Freddie Ljungberg, Blaise Nkufo and Alvaro Fernandez didn’t work out, although none could be fairly labeled as notorious flops. Still, they didn’t work out. Christian Tiffert has only recently pulled on the rave green, so the sample is way too small there.
That leaves Fredy Montero and Mauro Rosales, who are DPs now. But they “grew into” their DP clothes. So while it’s not really accurate to credit the organization with DP home runs, landing the two plums in the first place must be considered a huge scouting success.
That lack of payoff success is the only other reason with any real legs cited for replacing Hanauer (pictured, along with Kasey Keller). But who are we kidding? This team has been around for all of three previous years. I know Seattle Sounders fans are wonderful, and there are so very man of them – and all that is peachy.
But that doesn’t mean the team is entitled to MLS Cup playoff success. These things take time. And mathematically, chances of winning the thing have ranged from 1-in-15 to 1-in-18 so far. (It’s 1-in-19 this year.)
So, scratch that one.
I really don’t think anybody believes Hanauer is in trouble here. But for “sake of argument,” this piece is worth a read or at least a scan.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games