Oct 3, 2012, 12:56 PM EST
A big week in Chicago? No. It’s a huge week around Chicago Fire headquarters.
Over the next four night, Frank Klopas’ club (surely among the league’s best over the past two months) can secure its playoff spot. There even an outside shot the boys from Bridgeview could find themselves presiding atop the Eastern Conference standings.
It all starts tonight as the Fire host Philadelphia, a side with lots of young talent, but one already eliminated from post-season matters.
The Fire travels to Red Bull Arena for a high-profile, nationally televised contest against Thierry Henry and the Red Bulls this weekend.
Both will be occasions for Chris Rolfe to keep demonstrating his case for any post-season honors that may fall his way – and maybe even a growing case for a little national team love. Rookie center back Austin Berry gets his next chance shine. (Thanks for the swell promotional Austin Berry / Life cereal box, fellows. Nicely played!)
And amid all that …
The Fire have planned themselves a fiesta. It’s about their 15th anniversary.
And how is this for network and city-wide synergy: Eamonn Walker, the actor who portrays battalion chief Wallace Boden on the NBC drama … wait for it … Chicago Fire, will toss the ceremonial coin before kickoff.
- WATCH: Michael Bradley, Sebastian Giovinco combine for Jozy Altidore’s first Toronto FC goal 3
- Premier League Sunday preview: Big boys tangle ahead of League Cup final 0
- Bundesliga wrap: Dortmund and Bayern flying high with big goal performances 0
- Premier League roundup: Manchester United go third, tight wins elsewhere 0
- Manchester United’s two-goal hero Wayne Rooney hails “deserved win.” Should he stay up front? 1
- Manchester United 2-0 Sunderland: Rooney nets double to seal easy win (video) 0