Oct 3, 2012, 12:56 PM EDT
A big week in Chicago? No. It’s a huge week around Chicago Fire headquarters.
Over the next four night, Frank Klopas’ club (surely among the league’s best over the past two months) can secure its playoff spot. There even an outside shot the boys from Bridgeview could find themselves presiding atop the Eastern Conference standings.
It all starts tonight as the Fire host Philadelphia, a side with lots of young talent, but one already eliminated from post-season matters.
The Fire travels to Red Bull Arena for a high-profile, nationally televised contest against Thierry Henry and the Red Bulls this weekend.
Both will be occasions for Chris Rolfe to keep demonstrating his case for any post-season honors that may fall his way – and maybe even a growing case for a little national team love. Rookie center back Austin Berry gets his next chance shine. (Thanks for the swell promotional Austin Berry / Life cereal box, fellows. Nicely played!)
And amid all that …
The Fire have planned themselves a fiesta. It’s about their 15th anniversary.
And how is this for network and city-wide synergy: Eamonn Walker, the actor who portrays battalion chief Wallace Boden on the NBC drama … wait for it … Chicago Fire, will toss the ceremonial coin before kickoff.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public