Oct 3, 2012, 8:58 AM EDT
Want to know what gets you fined 25 large in Major League Soccer? This:
Let’s be real…nfl replacement refs have nothing on mls primary refs. Sick of this garbage. I will happily take the fine. It’s atrocious. Should balance out.”
Especially when it’s attached to this:
All season long…not a single damn pk awarded to us. Numerous cut/dry blown calls. And let’s give DC a gift for good measure.
And when it’s all chased by this:
I don’t like complaints about refs, always sounds like excuses. But this season has been unique. Literally no pks. We haven’t controlled what we can control to max for sure. But also haven’t had many breaks. Is what it is. From my end. I’m not making a habit of this. Owner shouldn’t be part of the story. We will keep seeking to improve and eventually we will succeed. (And maybe someday I won’t tweet angry).”
Those are the TOAs (Tweets of Anger) that has Timbers owner Merritt Paulson $25,000 lighter today.
They were all about that dubious penalty kick decision in last week’s 1-1 draw with D.C. United.
By the way, I was wrong about Paulson and all this. I thought he would be fined for confronting officials on the way off the field. Apparently, firing away on social media is the larger crime committed here.
I am not wrong about this, however: Paulson remains a passionate owner, the very kind that fans want for their team. He’s Mark Cuban like that; you may not always agree with his decisions, but you never have any doubt that they come from a place that wants very badly to win.
Too many owners in sports, caught in the power of it all or derailed by the chase for the mighty dollar, cannot always say the same.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 1
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public