Oct 4, 2012, 12:10 PM EDT
We keep talking about “margin for error” in MLS and how far it gets reduced at this time of year, a.k.a. “squeaky bum time.”
Little match-day mistakes become significant point-shifters. Managing decisions that go wrong can cost a playoff spot.
And injuries that would cause low-level alarm in spring or summer become full-fledged fall nail-biters – all because of a drastically reduced margin for error.
With that, let’s talk about an injury that has left Houston midfielder and dead ball specialist Brad Davis questionable for Saturday’s home game against Montreal.
Davis suffered a calf sprain in practice Tuesday. He missed Wednesday’s workout, leaving manager Dominic Kinnear hopeful but unsure, awaiting Thursday’s practice to get a better picture of the situation.
As the Houston Chronicle’s Jose de Jesus Ortiz points out in the piece linked above, Kinnear has ample midfield options. But – and this is one of them very big “buts” – none of them are close to Davis in terms of impact and production.
The Dynamo lefty has scored or assisted on 19 of 44 goals for the Orange this year. That’s 43 percent, and his ability to contribute regularly at such a prodigious rate has been impressive through the years.
In the four seasons since 2008, he’s been right about there the entire way. In fact, Davis has either scored or assisted on 73 of 168 Dynamo goals. That equals … yep … 43 percent.
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Team of the Week – Week 1 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Player of the Week: Will Bruin 0
- Alan Pardew handed hefty ban, fined for headbutt 1
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers