Oct 4, 2012, 12:10 PM EDT
We keep talking about “margin for error” in MLS and how far it gets reduced at this time of year, a.k.a. “squeaky bum time.”
Little match-day mistakes become significant point-shifters. Managing decisions that go wrong can cost a playoff spot.
And injuries that would cause low-level alarm in spring or summer become full-fledged fall nail-biters – all because of a drastically reduced margin for error.
With that, let’s talk about an injury that has left Houston midfielder and dead ball specialist Brad Davis questionable for Saturday’s home game against Montreal.
Davis suffered a calf sprain in practice Tuesday. He missed Wednesday’s workout, leaving manager Dominic Kinnear hopeful but unsure, awaiting Thursday’s practice to get a better picture of the situation.
As the Houston Chronicle’s Jose de Jesus Ortiz points out in the piece linked above, Kinnear has ample midfield options. But – and this is one of them very big “buts” – none of them are close to Davis in terms of impact and production.
The Dynamo lefty has scored or assisted on 19 of 44 goals for the Orange this year. That’s 43 percent, and his ability to contribute regularly at such a prodigious rate has been impressive through the years.
In the four seasons since 2008, he’s been right about there the entire way. In fact, Davis has either scored or assisted on 73 of 168 Dynamo goals. That equals … yep … 43 percent.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 0
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games