Oct 4, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
For the third time in the 2012 Major League Soccer season, San Jose Earthquakes forward Chris Wondolowski won the Player of the Month award. He tallied four goals and two assists in five matches, and becomes the first player ever to three-peat in the same season.
Wondolowski, who also took home the hardware in April and June, outpaced New York Red Bulls striker Thierry Henry, who also happens to be his primary competition for the league’s Most Valuable Player award as well. San Jose’s leading scorer has been the favorite all season — at least since the end of April — but the case for the Frenchman is gaining steam:
Henry has tallied 14 regular season goals, eight behind Wondolowski, along with 12 assists. Henry has scored or set up 26 of New York’s 54 goals (48.1 percent), while Wondolowski has been involved in 29 of San Jose’s 65 (44.6 percent). The Quakes’ marksman has played in seven more games, which some will use to argue his case (more reliable) and others will use to argue Henry’s (more efficient).
Who’s gonna win? Well, the race isn’t over yet. Wondo is still in the lead, but wait until the end of the season to decide. Anything else seems premature. And then, of course, there’s Graham Zusi, who actually contributes to a higher percentage of his team’s goals. But that’s a ridiculous metric to begin with. Heck, let’s give the award to Wondo. He deserves it and he’ll be so happy. Hugs all around.
- Alan Pardew handed hefty ban, fined for headbutt 1
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 1
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers