Oct 4, 2012, 4:47 PM EDT
The Chicago Fire will be without Mexican star Guillermo Franco, who earned a one-game suspension from Major League Soccer and a fine after stomping on Brian Carroll in his club’s match against the Philadelphia Union Wednesday night.
Franco, who was red carded, will not be available for Saturday’s game with the New York Red Bulls. He will also miss the Fire’s tilt with the New England Revolution on October 20.
Here’s the release from MLS HQ:
NEW YORK (October 4, 2012) – The MLS Disciplinary Committee has suspended Chicago Fire forward Guillermo Franco one game and fined him an undisclosed amount for endangering the safety of his opponent with a reckless challenge on Philadelphia Union midfielder Brian Carroll in the 78th minute of their match on Oct. 3. Because the referee issued Franco a red card on the play, Franco will be suspended a total of two games.
Franco will serve the first game of his suspension this Saturday when the Fire travel to face the New York Red Bulls at 3:30 p.m. ET on NBC. He will serve the second game Oct. 20 when the New England Revolution host Chicago.
Fines collected will be donated to the charitable partners of MLS W.O.R.K.S. and the MLS Players Union.
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 4
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead