Oct 4, 2012, 10:17 AM EDT
The long, tough summer around BC Place has claimed several victims in terms of performance among the Whitecaps. Suffice to say, it generally hasn’t been good enough as Martin Rennie’s club squandered one opportunity after another to put some distance on the pursuers from FC Dallas, the only club still battling Vancouver for that final playoff spot.
One man has remained steadfast, captain Jay DeMerit. His performances in every game I’ve seen have ranged from pretty good to downright heroic.
Here’s what the former U.S. international had to say about last night’s 4-0 win over Chivas USA:
It’s been the performance we’ve been waiting for for a long time. It takes a certain effort from a lot of guys to do performances like tonight. For once we put a performance together — the defenders defended well, and the goalscorers went and scored goals.
At the end of the day, it comes down to pretty simple things and pretty simple jobs. It’s just a matter of guys taking responsibility to do them.”
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 5
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Shea Returns to Stoke After Fan Incident Cuts Barnsley Loan Spell Short
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs
- The FIFA World Cup Trophy for the First Time in Sarajevo
- Despite Early Deficit, Revs Could've Climbed Back vs. Dynamo
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1