Oct 4, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
I was in the stadium the day Tomas Rosicky (pictured) scored two goals in the Czech Republic’s huge 3-0 win over the United States to open both teams’ account at World Cup 2006. A little later that summer, I was sure the man was going to set England on fire, having signed on with Arsene Wenger and esteemed Arsenal. And that first year: not too bad at all, with six goals in 37 appearances. After that, however, Rosicky pretty much went averaged on us, underwhelming us to death over a series of so-so seasons.
But never mind all negativity. Let’s be good fellows about it and raise a glass to the man, who turns 31 today.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
Americans in Europa League? Yeah, we’ve got a few. Start with Brad Friedel and Clint Dempsey, who will be available to feature for Spurs in a match against Greece’s Panathinaikos.
Veteran U.S. right back Steve Cherundolo and his German club Hannover takes on Spain’s Levante.
Rising American forward Terrence Boyd and Rapid Vienna take on Metalist from Ukraine.
Others in action include Alejandro Bedoya (Sweden’s Helsingborgs IF), midfielder Mikkel Diskerud (Nowway’s Rosenborg) and goalkeeper David Yelldell (Germany’s Bayer Leverkusen).
The complete Europa League schedule is here:
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day):Chris Armas
*Ahead on the blog today: The curiously elusive Panic Quotient makes a return; look for it in the afternoon. We’ll dig into Europa League and keep a watch out for MLS news. Plus, look out later in the afternoon for Noah Davis’ “Overlooked and Underloved” feature, which is anything but. Overlooked and underloved, that is.
What you should watch on TV today:
A great Europa league doubleheader is listed for Fox Soccer Channel: Up first is Panathinaikos against Tottenham from Greece, kicking off at 2:50 p.m. ET.
That’s followed by Liverpool-Udinese from fabled Anfield, kicking off at 3 p.m. ET.
If the MLS playoffs started today (following 28 rounds):
- Houston at D.C. United
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- Chicago vs. New York Red Bulls
- Vancouver Whitecaps at Seattle
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. L.A. Galaxy
PST background noise while blogging today: Catching up on DVRed Daily Shows; you just know that former forward from William & Mary will have a little something to say about the debates and such going on. (You do know Stewart played soccer in college, right?)
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 0
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 1
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in their next match 4
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (27)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public