Oct 4, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
I was in the stadium the day Tomas Rosicky (pictured) scored two goals in the Czech Republic’s huge 3-0 win over the United States to open both teams’ account at World Cup 2006. A little later that summer, I was sure the man was going to set England on fire, having signed on with Arsene Wenger and esteemed Arsenal. And that first year: not too bad at all, with six goals in 37 appearances. After that, however, Rosicky pretty much went averaged on us, underwhelming us to death over a series of so-so seasons.
But never mind all negativity. Let’s be good fellows about it and raise a glass to the man, who turns 31 today.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
Americans in Europa League? Yeah, we’ve got a few. Start with Brad Friedel and Clint Dempsey, who will be available to feature for Spurs in a match against Greece’s Panathinaikos.
Veteran U.S. right back Steve Cherundolo and his German club Hannover takes on Spain’s Levante.
Rising American forward Terrence Boyd and Rapid Vienna take on Metalist from Ukraine.
Others in action include Alejandro Bedoya (Sweden’s Helsingborgs IF), midfielder Mikkel Diskerud (Nowway’s Rosenborg) and goalkeeper David Yelldell (Germany’s Bayer Leverkusen).
The complete Europa League schedule is here:
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day):Chris Armas
*Ahead on the blog today: The curiously elusive Panic Quotient makes a return; look for it in the afternoon. We’ll dig into Europa League and keep a watch out for MLS news. Plus, look out later in the afternoon for Noah Davis’ “Overlooked and Underloved” feature, which is anything but. Overlooked and underloved, that is.
What you should watch on TV today:
A great Europa league doubleheader is listed for Fox Soccer Channel: Up first is Panathinaikos against Tottenham from Greece, kicking off at 2:50 p.m. ET.
That’s followed by Liverpool-Udinese from fabled Anfield, kicking off at 3 p.m. ET.
If the MLS playoffs started today (following 28 rounds):
- Houston at D.C. United
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- Chicago vs. New York Red Bulls
- Vancouver Whitecaps at Seattle
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. L.A. Galaxy
PST background noise while blogging today: Catching up on DVRed Daily Shows; you just know that former forward from William & Mary will have a little something to say about the debates and such going on. (You do know Stewart played soccer in college, right?)
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 6
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)