Oct 4, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
I was in the stadium the day Tomas Rosicky (pictured) scored two goals in the Czech Republic’s huge 3-0 win over the United States to open both teams’ account at World Cup 2006. A little later that summer, I was sure the man was going to set England on fire, having signed on with Arsene Wenger and esteemed Arsenal. And that first year: not too bad at all, with six goals in 37 appearances. After that, however, Rosicky pretty much went averaged on us, underwhelming us to death over a series of so-so seasons.
But never mind all negativity. Let’s be good fellows about it and raise a glass to the man, who turns 31 today.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
Americans in Europa League? Yeah, we’ve got a few. Start with Brad Friedel and Clint Dempsey, who will be available to feature for Spurs in a match against Greece’s Panathinaikos.
Veteran U.S. right back Steve Cherundolo and his German club Hannover takes on Spain’s Levante.
Rising American forward Terrence Boyd and Rapid Vienna take on Metalist from Ukraine.
Others in action include Alejandro Bedoya (Sweden’s Helsingborgs IF), midfielder Mikkel Diskerud (Nowway’s Rosenborg) and goalkeeper David Yelldell (Germany’s Bayer Leverkusen).
The complete Europa League schedule is here:
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day):Chris Armas
*Ahead on the blog today: The curiously elusive Panic Quotient makes a return; look for it in the afternoon. We’ll dig into Europa League and keep a watch out for MLS news. Plus, look out later in the afternoon for Noah Davis’ “Overlooked and Underloved” feature, which is anything but. Overlooked and underloved, that is.
What you should watch on TV today:
A great Europa league doubleheader is listed for Fox Soccer Channel: Up first is Panathinaikos against Tottenham from Greece, kicking off at 2:50 p.m. ET.
That’s followed by Liverpool-Udinese from fabled Anfield, kicking off at 3 p.m. ET.
If the MLS playoffs started today (following 28 rounds):
- Houston at D.C. United
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- Chicago vs. New York Red Bulls
- Vancouver Whitecaps at Seattle
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. L.A. Galaxy
PST background noise while blogging today: Catching up on DVRed Daily Shows; you just know that former forward from William & Mary will have a little something to say about the debates and such going on. (You do know Stewart played soccer in college, right?)
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 3
- Big Spenders: Which Premier League clubs must go all-in on transfer deadline day? 3
- Done Deals: Recapping Man United (and others’) busy day — De Gea drama; Chicharito out; $56 million for Martial 1
- NO DEAL: David de Gea’s transfer to Real Madrid falls through as Man United paperwork arrives too late 7