Oct 4, 2012, 11:16 AM EST
A ProSoccerTalk Promise: Unless there’s new news to discuss, this is the last time we’ll beat up on the poor, old tied-up goats from Chivas USA.
Last night’s latest bit of awful leaves us looking through the record books. Here’s what I’ve found:
I wondered if being shut out six times in seven games might be an MLS first. Answer: Nope! When in search of these marks of dubious distinction, it’s always good to look toward Toronto.
Sure enough, from mid-July to mid-September in 2007, an expansion team steered by manager Mo Johnston was shut out seven matches in a row.
This was TFC’s string of 2007 shutout woe:
All the news is not so positive for Chivas USA. That current goal difference of -32 will need to improve (unlikely as that seems), or it will land as one of the worst yet in 17 MLS seasons. Any lower and it will represent the worst goal-difference since 2005, when expansion Real Salt Lake and fellow expansion side Chivas USA posted totals of -35 and -36 respectively.
That -36 GD by 2005 Chivas USA matched a league record shared the 2001 Tampa Bay Mutiny, a team that was about to fold. So, that one is in jeopardy, too.
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 0
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 3
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 2
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 2
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 1
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)