Oct 5, 2012, 10:35 AM EDT
Thierry Henry, the Red Bulls’ wonder attacker, does have that French sense of style, doesn’t he?
While the New York Red Bulls have dipped into the theater of the bizarre with that major organizational upheaval at the most curiously chosen time, the club’s most prominent performer can seemingly do no wrong these days.
Henry is coming off perhaps his best match yet in MLS – and that is saying something, since the man has quite a few outstanding performances from which to choose.
Something that got shuffled to the side by his virtuoso night was a very cool little bit that Henry did to recognize regional soccer history. He wore the captain’s armband, but not just any captain’s armband. It was the MetroStars’ armband, a little nod to the team’s former name prior to the 2006 rebranding. From the story in Big Apple Soccer:
It’s simple. Sometimes like in the NBA, like in the NFL, lot of sports here in the U.S., you have some throwback jerseys,” Henry said. “That is my way to give a shut to the MetroStars.”
“As you can see and I can say, there are a lot of guys coming to the game with MetroStars shirts. We all know and we’re well aware and understand this is a Red Bull team. That’s not going to change. Every now and then you can always give a shout to where the team started.”
Serious style points to you for this one, Mr. Henry. And style points, too, for this message he delivered via media at training on Thursday:
“I was supposed to give a shout out to a guy, a little kid who [comes] to see me at the training ground – Justin. I won’t go into details to what he has and everything. The goal against Columbus and the goal against Toronto, they were for him. If you can put it out there for him, any message can help and help a lot. So please.”
Done, sir. Happily.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public