Oct 6, 2012, 4:19 PM EDT
São Paulo’s up one just before halftime in one of the biggest derbies in Brazilian soccer. It’s the Derby Paulista, waged between the two biggest clubs in the country’s largest city.
Then the most dangerous play in soccer happened.
The ball is put in from the right, a corner kick. Palmeiras clears it. Denílson takes it …
… and this happens:
Yes, that’s the same Denílson that was once such a promising prospect for Arsenal. In fact, he’s still on their books, destined to play out his contract on loan to São Paulo.
And despite playing parts of four seasons with the Tricolor, that was the 24-year-old’s first Campeonato goal. Not a bad way to open your account, albeit a little late: a 36-yard rocket snaking inside the post of your rivals.
The goal also had a moral component. São Paulo had dominated the first half, outshooting Palmeiras 15-6 before the goal. Yet they were only up 1-0, four minutes from letting their rivals reach halftime and a chance to regroup.But then, justice as served.
In one moment, Denílson pushed Palmeiras from salvation to dispair. He also scored what will likely be this weekend’s best goal.
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 3
- Philadelphia’s Jack McInerney would be league’s youngest Golden Boot winner 0
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 3
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 1
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago