Oct 6, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT
Arne Friedrich is a World Cup-tested center back who probably has forgotten more about defending than most of us will ever learn to begin with.
Fellow center back Austin Berry is probably your MLS Rookie of the Year. And goalkeeper Sean Johnson is so well regarded that he keeps getting called into U.S. national team camps (generally to serve as third ‘keeper).
All that said, the Fire had gone without a defensive shutout since July 14. Yes, almost about three months now.
So the 2-0 win over New York was big in more ways than one.
We named Sherjill MacDonald the Man of the Match, but it easily could have been Friedrich, who kept the back line tidy and even bolted forward here and there to join the attack as a bonus.
Here are the highlights, followed by MacDonald’s post-game interview with NBC’s Kyle Martino. What did MacDonald, a forward, want to talk about? Defense, of course.
And Martino’s interview with MacDonald, whose goals in the 65th and 78th minutes proved more than enough as the Red Bulls could manage just one shot on target.
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 2
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 11
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona