Oct 6, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
When, for the love of all that is good, will Roberto Mancini learn that Mario Balotelli simply is not worth the trouble?
The volatile young striker is undeniably talented. But is he really so talented, so indispensable to Manchester City’s championship defense and Champions League ambition that Mancini should tolerate all the attached drama, distraction and potential discord?
His latest stunt: Subbed out after 56 hum-drum minutes Saturday (and right after missing out on a chance from directly in front of goal), Balotelli sulked off the field, taking a long, slow, brooding walk of discontent before heading straight down the tunnel.
(By the way, he was taken off for Sergio Aguero, which isn’t exactly like being removed in favor of some 18-year-old fringe figure from the reserve squad.)
Mancini didn’t help matters, remaining seated and failing to so much as look Balotelli’s way rather than standing to extend a hand, as is customary.
Either way, rather than talking about a commanding afternoon from the champs, a comfortable 3-0 win over Sunderland, some of the focus is once again returned to Mr. “Why Always Me,” the man who keeps answering his own ridiculous question.
Just for fun – and because I cannot find a clip (not yet, anyway) of today’s silliness – here’s one of my personal, favorite Balotelli moments. This was also against Sunderland, by the way; something about those Mackems brings out the worst in him, apparently. It’s Balotelli fighting over a free kick with teammate Aleksandar Kolarov.
Jun 19, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Montréal can open a gap atop the East with a win tonight. If Houston springs the upset, they’ll be within one point of the conference leaders.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
He didn’t exactly say much, but Pepe Reina’s club is Liverpool – at least, right now.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Cameras caught a message from Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, could it foreshadow a move?
Jun 19, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Fabio Capello is the latest manager to say “no” to the defending Ligue 1 champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Liverpool take a huge net loss on the 24-year-old while West Ham set their transfer fee record.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The Premier League has released its fixture list for the 2013/2014 season in its entirety. Find out the opening fixtures plus your favorite team’s derby here!
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
Jun 18, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
Jozy Altidore was the hero for the United States, cooly slotting a left-footed shot to hand the Stars & Stripes a 1-0 victory over Honduras.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The LA Galaxy coach has taken aging players and made them useful parts of the roster before:
Jun 18, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Everyone loves “The Pope”
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public