Oct 6, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Cubs-Mets. Bears-Giants. … Chicago Fire and New York Red Bulls?
As NBC lead soccer voice Arlo White says, “Chicago and New York will always resonate in American sports.”
Which is among the reasons this one is on NBC’s flagship network, the first of an MLS Saturday national TV doubleheader. (The second match, L.A. Galaxy vs. Real Salt Lake later tonight from Southern California, is on NBC Sports Network.)
This is second-place vs. third place – and the teams are separated only by goals scored and goal difference, each sitting on 53 points. A winner Saturday from Red Bull Arena still has a shot at catching Sporting Kansas City. But if one club drops all three points, they will almost certainly leave their remaining Eastern Conference championship hopes right there on the field.
Russ Thaler and Arlo White can tell you more about the match, which kicks off at 3:30 ET:
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 1
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public