Oct 6, 2012, 11:30 PM EST
If the fourth-best scoring season in Major League Soccer history isn’t enough to score a league MVP, seriously then, what is?
That’s a rhetorical question, of course. Because San Jose striker Chris Wondolowski surely locked up the MLS Most Valuable Player honor Saturday with a hat trick against the down-and-out Colorado Rapids. (San Jose won, 4-1.)
“Wonder Wondo” has 25 goals, statistically the fourth-best season in goal scoring yet. Further, Wondolowski has two matches remaining and now stands just two goals off the all-time record, Roy Lassiter’s 27 goals back in 1996 – a very, very different league, one in its debut campaign.
New York forward Thierry Henry was the only other realistic factor in the MVP chase. On the same night Wondolowski nailed his latest hat trick, Henry started nimbly enough but faded in the Red Bulls’ costly loss at home to Chicago.
So the contrasting nights will speak loudly, especially since it was Wondolowski’s to lose coming into Saturday, with only a scattering of whispers beginning to grow of Henry’s potential ability to slip into the MVP chase.
We’ll be hearing no more of that; start engraving, for sure.
Here is the updated list of top goal-scoring seasons in MLS:
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season