Oct 7, 2012, 6:13 PM EST
Sporting Kansas City was more or less cruising into the finish line. They had a 1-0 lead over Columbus in Ohio and were about five minutes from putting the Eastern Conference championship question to rest for 2012.
But a whole lot went wrong during five minutes of injury time.
First, Columbus’ Eddie Gaven sneaked a near post header past SKC goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen, leveling the teams at 1-1. That’s how it ended, and those two points lost by SKC give second-place Chicago a little dose of hope that perhaps the Eastern Conference crown remains in contention.
Minutes after Gaven’s goal, the engine of SKC’s midfield, Roger Espinoza, fell in a tangle with two Crew players near the Columbus goal.
Espinoza indicated immediately that he was in real distress, and then SKC medical staff immediately called for the substitution. Obviously, none of that is good news.
Graham Zusi has gotten a lot of attention this year for his passing and his overall contribution to Kansas City’s fine season. Goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen, defender Matt Besler and forward Kei Kamara get their due, as well.
But the entire SKC system is predicated on relentless pressure all over the field, and Espinoza is the unquestioned best at it. (Which is why Wigan from the English Premier League made a late run at the Honduran international during last summer’s transfer window.
If he’s out – and that is just an “if” at this point, nothing more – SKC’s chances in the playoffs take a huge hit.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 0
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 0
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park