Oct 7, 2012, 10:43 AM EDT
Injuries at this time of year always carry an exaggerated effect due to upcoming playoffs.
In Landon Donovan’s case, it’s a double whammy – and potentially a highly significant one. Donovan’s injury last night against Real Salt Lake carries World Cup qualifying implications, too.
Donovan limped off the field ever so gingerly last night after an 81st-minute collision as he aggressively chased a ball near Real Salt Lake goal.
He and RSL defender Jamison Olave became tangled and both fell awkwardly. Of what appeared to be a left knee injury, Donovan could tell reporters only that it “didn’t feel good” and that further test will happen “as soon as possible.”
The Galaxy has a week off for the international break. But it’s that international break that makes this situation so precarious.
United States national team manager Jurgen Klinsmann will release his latest roster Monday as the team prepares for two World Cup qualifiers. His side gathers Monday in Miami to begin preparations for matches at Antigua and Barbuda and then in Kansas City against Guatemala.
This one deserves close monitoring – for what it means to both teams.
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 6
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 9
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte