Oct 7, 2012, 10:43 AM EDT
Injuries at this time of year always carry an exaggerated effect due to upcoming playoffs.
In Landon Donovan’s case, it’s a double whammy – and potentially a highly significant one. Donovan’s injury last night against Real Salt Lake carries World Cup qualifying implications, too.
Donovan limped off the field ever so gingerly last night after an 81st-minute collision as he aggressively chased a ball near Real Salt Lake goal.
He and RSL defender Jamison Olave became tangled and both fell awkwardly. Of what appeared to be a left knee injury, Donovan could tell reporters only that it “didn’t feel good” and that further test will happen “as soon as possible.”
The Galaxy has a week off for the international break. But it’s that international break that makes this situation so precarious.
United States national team manager Jurgen Klinsmann will release his latest roster Monday as the team prepares for two World Cup qualifiers. His side gathers Monday in Miami to begin preparations for matches at Antigua and Barbuda and then in Kansas City against Guatemala.
This one deserves close monitoring – for what it means to both teams.
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 8
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 6
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 4
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1