Oct 9, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
Mark Viduka anyone? The Aussie international had a pretty decent career. Not spectacular, but pretty darn respectable, with some good years ago Celtic, Leeds, Middlesbrough and Newcastle. Viduka turns 37 on Tuesday.
Longtime Honduran international Carlos Pavon, who changed teams 19 times over his enduring career (yes, 19, not making this up) turns 39.
Brandon Pollard, a former U.S. Olympian and Dallas Burn man, who turned in his cleats to be a baker and now stands as the bee king of Dallas, turns 39.
And Shep Messing, a man who knows all the best stories from the Cosmos halcyon days, turns 63. Messing remains an analyst for New York Red Bulls matches.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
The United States roster is out, but all of the fallout of a couple of big moves from Jurgen Klinsmann is still being scattered across the media and supporter landscape.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Lauren Fowlkes
*Ahead on the blog today: Thoughts on Jozy Altidore’s dismissal from the U.S. roster. It’s just temporary, of course; he can certainly work his way back into grace. But this thing deserves further discussion, one way or the other.
The MLS rankings will drop sometime around mid-day, in two parts, as always.
What you should watch on TV today:
Repeats of last week’s Champions League and Europa League are all over, but nothing as compelling as live matches. So, maybe we all need to get a little exercise instead, eh?
If the MLS playoffs started today (following 31 rounds):
- Houston at New York
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- Chicago vs. D.C. United
- Vancouver Whitecaps at L.A. Galaxy
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle
PST background noise while blogging today: Seems like a Pandora day.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 29 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- 2014 MLS Season: Hoping & Fearing with Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record