Oct 9, 2012, 11:18 AM EST
Roger Espinoza’s injury and prognosis for return turned out better than expected for Sporting Kansas City. Prospects of missing the first playoff round – though that’s not certain – cannot be a good thing.
On the other hand, a timetable of 2-4 weeks until the Sporting KC midfielder returns, will not be overwhelming bleak for supporters around Livestrong Sporting Park.
However, this does have significant implications beyond Major League Soccer.
Honduras is locked in a World Cup qualifying death struggle. Cuba has been eliminated from semifinal round contention in Group C. But between Panama, Canada and Honduras, one nation’s soccer establishment will be crushed over the next eight days by the qualification swing and miss. (Group standings are here.)
Espinoza has become a major element in the Honduran reach for something most countries of this size and stature can typically only dream about.
This definitely rules out his participation as Honduras preps for matches at Panama and then at home against Canada.
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 1
- Chelsea’s Diego Costa to contest FA charge of violent conduct 0
- Freddy Adu heading back to MLS? Reports claims two teams interested 10
- Player Ratings: Some good, some not so good in Chile’s 3-2 win over the U.S. 15