Oct 9, 2012, 11:18 AM EST
Roger Espinoza’s injury and prognosis for return turned out better than expected for Sporting Kansas City. Prospects of missing the first playoff round – though that’s not certain – cannot be a good thing.
On the other hand, a timetable of 2-4 weeks until the Sporting KC midfielder returns, will not be overwhelming bleak for supporters around Livestrong Sporting Park.
However, this does have significant implications beyond Major League Soccer.
Honduras is locked in a World Cup qualifying death struggle. Cuba has been eliminated from semifinal round contention in Group C. But between Panama, Canada and Honduras, one nation’s soccer establishment will be crushed over the next eight days by the qualification swing and miss. (Group standings are here.)
Espinoza has become a major element in the Honduran reach for something most countries of this size and stature can typically only dream about.
This definitely rules out his participation as Honduras preps for matches at Panama and then at home against Canada.
- VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League 0
- Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months 0
- Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more 0
- USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up 1
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 4
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3