Oct 9, 2012, 11:18 AM EDT
Roger Espinoza’s injury and prognosis for return turned out better than expected for Sporting Kansas City. Prospects of missing the first playoff round – though that’s not certain – cannot be a good thing.
On the other hand, a timetable of 2-4 weeks until the Sporting KC midfielder returns, will not be overwhelming bleak for supporters around Livestrong Sporting Park.
However, this does have significant implications beyond Major League Soccer.
Honduras is locked in a World Cup qualifying death struggle. Cuba has been eliminated from semifinal round contention in Group C. But between Panama, Canada and Honduras, one nation’s soccer establishment will be crushed over the next eight days by the qualification swing and miss. (Group standings are here.)
Espinoza has become a major element in the Honduran reach for something most countries of this size and stature can typically only dream about.
This definitely rules out his participation as Honduras preps for matches at Panama and then at home against Canada.
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 1
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 8
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0