Oct 10, 2012, 10:09 AM EST
Belgium looks like an intriguing team out of Europe for 2014 World Cup qualifying.
With Thomas Vermaelen and Vincent Kompany on patrol in the back, we would be hard pressed to identify too many better central combos.
Eden Hazard, just 21, has quickly established himself as one of the Premiership’s top young guns. Chelsea is happy to have landed the spry attacker in the summer.
The side has exciting young strikers, not to mention Marouane Fellaini behind them –and the king of all “hair boys” in Britain is having a wonderful campaign at Everton.
So, all that has made Belgium – not exactly a whale, but a bigger player in the world game back in the day – the Group A favorite ahead of Croatia, Serbia, Scotland, Macedonia and Wales.
So, the injury blow to Fellaini lands at a very bad time. The big midfielder will miss 3-4 weeks with a knee injury collected last week against Wigan. That rules him out for Belgium’s upcoming tests against Serbia and Scotland.
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 0
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 2
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park