Oct 11, 2012, 9:20 AM EST
Jurgen Klinsmann and Co. boarded up bright and early today, bound for Miami’s airport and then the big plane into Antigua.
What will they find? Good question.
They’ll have the usual day-before happenings (“Match-day minus-1” in official U.S. Soccer federation parlance); a press conference in Antigua and a practice at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in North Sound, Antigua.
That’s where the mystery element will disappear; U.S. Soccer staff is eager to see the condition of the field, which is actually a cricket ground. Combined with the fact that showers are predicted for game day (60 percent chance), and then lumped in with memories of a poor field in Guatemala … yes, there is a bit of concern.
“We haven’t seen the field yet but anything can happen there in Antigua in terms of the field and conditions,” U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann said earlier this week from Miami.
I talked to a U.S. Soccer spokesman as he left for the airport this morning. He reiterated that nothing had changed on the left back situation; there will be no additional cover for a position that just became super model thin: No Fabian Johnson and no Edgar Castillo.
At present, there is no plan to summon additional cover for next week’s match in Kansas City; if all goes according to plan, Johnson will meet the team there on or near the team’s Saturday arrival.
- Should Roberto Martinez be starting Gerard Deulofeu? 1
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 5
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014