Oct 11, 2012, 12:13 PM EST
Two things most U.S. Soccer supporters can now agree on: Michael Bradley is The Man in the U.S. midfield, an element in Jurgen Klinsmann’s team every bit as essential as cheese on a cheeseburger.
The central midfield options behind Bradley are OK, but perhaps something short of overwhelming. Bradley has the most balanced game, by far, and he’s easily the best of the bunch in ability to contribute offensively.
So how about this for a nightmare scenario: going into an absolute, must-win, all-in, zero-margin-for-error match next week in Kansas City without Bradley, Maurice Edu or Jermaine Jones (pictured)? Possibly even without Graham Zusi, too.
Bradley, Edu, Jones and Zusi are all on yellow-card warning. That means they’ll sit out Tuesday’s semifinal round finale against Guatemala if they collect a caution Friday in Antigua.
Which is concerning, since Bradley, Edu, Jones, Danny Williams and Kyle Beckerman are the central midfielders on this roster.
It wouldn’t be dire, because Williams and Beckerman are not bad options for the center of the park. But it would leave zero cover, and would probably require Klinsmann to reconfigure the formation, possibly into a 4-4-2 with Clint Dempsey atop a midfield diamond.
So, not dire – but hardly ideal, obviously.
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014