Oct 12, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
Soccer birthdays: Tottenham Hotspur and Clint Dempsey teammate Ledley King turns 31. (He’s in that picture, we swear.) The defender, who barely trains due to knee problems, played the first 45 minutes of England’s World Cup match against the United States. He suffered a groin injury and came out at halftime, before Dempsey magically willed the ball past Robert Green. We bet that makes for fun locker room conversation.
Also, Cüneyt Köz — who has the most amazing name ever — turns 20. Get this: The current Dynamo Dresden defender made his debut for his former club, FC Bayern Munich II, in 2010, replacing none other than the New England Revolution’s Saër Sène. It’s all very strange.
Big Important Stories of the Day: In case you haven’t heard, the United States men’s national team plays THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD tonight. It is, at the very least, the most importnat fixture the Stars and Stripes have ever played in Antigua & Barbuda.
The actual importance lies somewhere between those two extremes. Mostly, we’d just like to get to tonight so we can stop writing and start watching.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Paul Caligiuri. Could the U.S. use a little of his magic tonight?
*Ahead on the blog today: Other than the U.S.-Antigua? Plenty. There are like a million other excellent World Cup qualifiers and friendlies going on throughout the day. The other Davis and Farley are on watch. These men don’t sleep. Ever.
What you should watch on TV today: I’m not even going to answer that. You know.
If CONCACAF’s final qualifying round started today:
- United States
- El Salvador
Outside looking in: Jamaica, Costa Rica, Canada
Background noise while we’re blogging: The Jamaican national anthem. Sorry, but it’s amazing.
We’ll leave you with this: Predictions for the match against Antigua & Barbuda? I’ll go 2-0 U.S.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014