Oct 13, 2012, 2:02 AM EDT
For the second match in a row, Graham Zusi impressed. While Friday’s performance may not have been as eye-opening as last month’s effort in Columbus, the Sporting Kansas City attacker was one on the States’ best players over the first half hour, a period highlighted by this cross for the first goal.
Later in the half, Zusi nearly added a second assist, running onto a restart from Michael Bradley before quickly turning on a cross for Johnson, the Man of the Match heading a potential go-ahead goal just wide.
Zusi’s performance was enough to ask: Is Zheusi starting to close the gap between him and Landon Donovan? Perhaps, but for large stretches of Friday’s match (that lull between goals), the U.S. was desperate for somebody to break open the game as only Donovan can. Even if Zusi does a good job most of the time, it’s those few extraordinary minutes per match that make Donovan special.
One of Donovan’s long-time teammates played a crucial part on the game-winner. Alan Gordon, the most criticized of Klinsmann’s selections, came off the bench to provide the assist:
How many players can say they recorded an assist in their first appearance for the national team? Let alone an assist on a game-winning goal on the road in World Cup qualifying?
Take a look at how fast the play develops. Throw in, two touches, and the ball’s into the six-yard box. Johnson pulls away from his mark, with Gordon’s cross leaving little chance for the defenders or goalkeeper to adjust. You don’t see many U.S. goals like that, but if Jurgen Klinsmann has his way, we’ll see a lot more of those type of quick, aggressive decisions from the States’ attackers.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public