Oct 14, 2012, 5:51 PM EDT
While most of the teams in CONCACAF qualifying are either fighting for their World Cup lives or looking to close out the semifinal round with a little pride, one team has kicked up quite a kerfuffle for its motives and intentions – which seem difficult to explain.
Cuba brought a small squad of unknown players – even more unknown than we usually get from Cuban soccer. And a few people are not happy about it.
A writer from the Toronto Sun wonders if Cuba should be sanctioned or even banned from future regional events for “failing to field a competitive side during Friday night’s World Cup qualifier in Toronto.”
The Canadians won, 3-0, but it was a fairly ridiculous score considering the lopsided nature. Consider that Canada took 37 shots and you get a pretty good picture.
Cuban head coach Alexander Gonzalez told reporters that his team travelled just 15 players. Four of those have apparently defected. (And at the risk of making light of a serious situation that does affect lives, we’ll go ahead and say it: Whoa! Who saw that coming?)
Meanwhile, some around the Canadian team are wondering if their inability to fully exploit the situation might be costly, should passage into the final round come down to goal difference? (That situation seems less than likely, as it would require a Cuban win over Panama – but it’s not totally out of the question.)
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 1
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public