Oct 15, 2012, 4:25 PM EST
KANSAS CITY –Yesterday was the first time inside Livestrong Sporting Park for U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann, a man who has certainly seen his share of stadiums, inside and out.
He was duly impressed.
“If you walk into a stadium like Kansas City’s, and you experience that … It was my first time in the stadium yesterday. I mean, just the locker room … there’s no locker room in Europe like that! It’s just cool,” Klinsmann said at his news conference Monday. “It’s fantastic. You’ve got to give them a huge compliment for that.”
(Some of the locker room design concepts, by the way, were borrowed from designs at Wembley Stadium and Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium; that tidbit brought to you from the Sporting New-powered brain of Brian Straus.)
More broadly, Klinsmann was speaking more about the entire facility, the 18,500-seat Sporting Kansas City arena, one brimming with modern amenities and high-tech goodies.
Actually, that was part of his answer to a bigger question about the increased scrutiny coming from all corners of American soccer, from fans as well as from the chattering class.
In migrating down a path about Kansas City’s stadium, whether he was being evasive or just being the typically bubbly “Klinsi,” a man who will find something positive to say about everything, is hard to say. But his point was this:
The game has grown so much – and a beautiful park in suburban Kansas City, peerless in some ways, is just one example – that more scrutiny is a natural outcome.
But he does think locker room is very cool, too.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 6
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)