Oct 16, 2012, 11:30 PM EST
The final round of qualifying in the United States’ regional (CONCACAF) is set.
The United States finished first atop Group C (but gets nothing for finishing first rather than second) and joins five others in final-stage qualifying, which begins in February.
The top three teams from final round play move on to Brazil 2014; CONCAFAF’s fourth-place team meets Oceania’s winner in a home-and-home series for a spot.
Here are the teams in next year’s final round (which some people refer to as the “hexagonal,” although I am only telling you that to alleviate confusion when you read about it elsewhere, because “hexagonal” is silly; it’s just the “final round of qualifying” if you ask me.)
- United States
- Costa Rica
It was close for the Panamanians, who needed a 77th-minute to manage a 1-1 draw with Cuba. This is only the second time in the final round for Panama since this format was adopted before the 1998 World Cup.
Honduras capped a wonderful year for soccer in that country by claiming a spot, doing so at the expense of Canada. The Honduran capital of San Pedro Sula became a true house of horrors Tuesday for the Canadians, whose 8-1 defeat was its second worse loss ever.
Mexico was already through (finishing strong with a win over El Salvador), and final round regular Costa Rica secured its spot as expected with an easy victory over Guyana.
Officials of the six federations will meet later this week in Miami, hoping to arrange the schedule. The first match is Feb. 6; the next two matches will be in March.
If officials cannot come to suitable scheduling arrangements – this is a new method of attempting to set the matches – they will revert to the old method of a draw to arrange the order of matches.
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 4
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014