Oct 17, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas, whose employment was looking a tad rickety there for a while, turns 35.
Anybody remember Collins John? Dude had a fairly solid resumed when he took in a cup of Chicago coffee with the Fire a year or so back. he sure didn’t do much, so don’t feel too badly if the name does not ring any bells. Anyway, as he turns 27 today, he’s playing in England’s fourth tier. So, yeah, that one was never going to work out so well for the Fire.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
It started with a scare, but the United States is through to final round World Cup qualifying. Nothing in the domestic world of soccer is more big and important than that.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Mike Windischmann
*Ahead on the blog today:
Rummaging through the ample leftovers of World Cup qualifying in this region and beyond. I mean, who doesn’t like the heck out of some leftovers?
We’ll have a word or two about the big match in Seattle tonight – and they will not be kind words. MLS, you are on alert.
What you should watch on TV today:
That Seattle-Real Salt Lake match I just mentioned above.
Your CONCACAF final round qualifiers are:
The top two teams from each semifinal round group advance into final round qualifying. With one round of matches remaining (Tuesday), here are the teams currently “in.”
- United States
- Costa Rica
PST background noise while blogging today: Planes, trains and automobiles, man. On the move, back from Kansas City. So, when I say “background noise,” that’s mostly just announcement inside the airports, rental car shuttles, airplane, etc.
We’ll leave you with this: The United States is through, and credit for that. But it’s got to be better in the final round. I think the U.S. players and coaches know so, too.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
Cameron’s Instagram shot from the Tweet above:
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park