Oct 18, 2012, 4:39 PM EDT
When we think of vacation spots for the early winter, we do not think of Russia. But the Stars and Stripes are going there to play on November 14.
The squad is heading to Krasnodar, which is sort of between the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov for you geography buffs. For those of you not versed in geography, it’s 17 and a half hours straight south in a car.
The game falls on a FIFA date, so Jurgen Klinsmann can all anyone he wants. So, that’s fun.
Russia, for what it’s worth, is tearing up Group F in UEFA 2014 World Cup qualifying and will present an excellent gauge of where the Americans stand.
Reactions, facts, and figures? Sure:
The #USMNT can finish the year with its highest winning percentage in the modern era. Currently .769 (9-2-2). Best is .750 (2008)
— U.S. Soccer (@ussoccer) October 18, 2012
Average November temp in Krasnodar is around 50. You still prefer Moscow or St. Peter? #USMNT
— Jonah Freedman (@jonahfreedman) October 18, 2012
Yes, single FIFA fixture date. Not ususual. RT @frenchie1916: Is Russia friendly a mandatory FIFA release date?
— Steven Goff (@SoccerInsider) October 18, 2012
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 19
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (19)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights