Oct 19, 2012, 3:13 PM EDT
Is Thierry Henry really that impressed with Sporting Kansas City? Or is he just softening up the prey for an easier kill?
Here’s what Henry, the Red Bulls striker who might be the second choice league MVP this year, says about SKC coach Peter Vermes and his side:
They go forward together, they defend together. They put their body on the line or they’re blocking shots. They’re very aggressive in a good way and have a good attitude. You have to give a lot of credit to their boss; he’s been doing a tremendous job for more than one-and-a-half years.”
The background here is that Henry and the Red Bulls face Vermes’ squad. This has the feel of another recent, big Eastern Conference match, that one between Chicago and New York inside the very same building.
That one didn’t work out so well for New York, as Chicago got things just right tactically.
In fact, that was the last time on the field for the Red Bulls. Since then, they are dealing with an unstable managerial situation, where Hans Backe may or may not believe he’s on the way out.
Either way, Henry and the rest of the Red Bulls need to play better Saturday than they did Oct. 6 against SKC. We told you why here.
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 6
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 8
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final