Oct 22, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
Former Canadian international Kara Lang, the youngest person ever to represent her country internationally, appearing at age 15, turns 26 today. Lang represented our northern neighbors at two FIFA Women’s World Cups and two Olympics, but had to retire early due to knee injuries. She is now a broadcaster.
Former Dutch international Winston Bogarde is 42 today.
Born on this day
I never saw the man play personally, but plenty of people who know the game believe Russian goalkeeper Lev Yashin was the best ever at his position. When Sports Illustrated writers did their all-time fantasy soccer draft, he went No. 6 overall – and that included all players at every position who had ever played the game.
Yashin, nicknamed the Black Panther for his agility and athletic ability, would have been 83 today. He died in 1990.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
Major League Soccer’s playoff field is set, with one round still to be played. There’s still positioning to be sorted, but we know which 10 teams will compete for the 17th MLS Cup – and which nine sides will have to begin plotting a course for 2013.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day: Steve Pecher
*Ahead on the blog today:
We’ll start by showing you a great goal that was dripping with meaning. (Hint: It came out of Vancouver last night.)
We’ll talk about that just-set MLS playoff field and discuss one team that has made it … but that cannot be counted on for being around very long.
And we’ll have the usual Monday supply of league goodies (Team of the Week, Player of the Week) and the Monday “Meh” list of things slightly overrated in our game.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
What you should watch on TV today:
Cue up the DVR, because unless you have beIN Sports, and unless you have a dog in the fight between Sevilla and Mallorca, it’s a day of awfully slim pickins’.
If the MLS playoffs started today (following 31 rounds):
- Houston at New York
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- Chicago vs. D.C. United
- Vancouver Whitecaps at L.A. Galaxy
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 29 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 6
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''