Oct 23, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
How can you pick a true Top 20 from among more than 1,000 career goals? I’m not sure … but let’s not bog down in details here.
Nor with concerns over rights fees, either, I suppose.
Let’s just enjoy.
Someone put together their version of Pele’s Top 20 goals. The occasion is the man’s 72nd birthday. So, happy birthday to the Brazilian scoring king, with 1,281 goals to his credit. (Not to mention three World Cup crowns.)
I can’t say for sure that these are anything close to his 20 best. Seeing as so many were scored in Brazilian league play in the 1960s (there were some before and after, of course, but the bulk are somewhere in that psychedelic era), I would be willing to bet a signed, game-worn Cosmos 1977 jersey that Pele scored some real doozies that did not find their way to this YouTube reel.
But what I do know: Just watching these 20, it’s impossible not to recognize the ball control that seems almost cartoon-like in its quality, the unbelievable balance and the madly effective acceleration.
No, defenses and individual defending were not as good in his era. But neither were the fields, nor the balls they were playing with. The shoes, either, for that matter. So, all that becomes a wash in my book when debates commence about the relative merits of athletes from different eras.
The man was absolute greatness. Just see for yourself.
And if you see the King of Football today, with him a happy B-Day, would ya?
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 0
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 5
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 7
- Another EPL manager goes, as Tony Pulis leaves Stoke City 4
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (15)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team