Oct 24, 2012, 9:55 AM EST
Alex Morgan, still just 23 years old, may eventually re-write all the U.S. women’s national team scoring records.
You know, the lofty marks that belong to Mia Hamm, but that may soon belong to Abby Wambach. Those.
But Morgan is no goal-mouth poacher; she’s a quality all-around attacker. Consider her assists marks:
The California native and recent Olympic Gold medalist tallied Nos. 17 and 18 for the year in last night’s 2-2 draw with Germany on the rain-slickened grass at Rentschler Field in Connecticut. That matches the fourth best year in assists for an American attacker.
Hamm holds the mark with 22 in 2004, followed by Carin Gabarra’s 21 assists in 1991 and Hamm’s 20 in 1998.
Hamm also had 18 assists in 1995 and 1996. So, safe to say Morgan finds herself in good company this morning. Not to mention still a little soggy, in all likelihood. Here are the complete game highlights from East Hartford:
.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Premier League Preview: Aston Villa vs. Manchester United 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Everton, Manchester United, Liverpool 0
- Report: Garcia’s World Cup ethics report to be released after all 3
- Paul Scholes: Thierry Henry’s legendary goal vs. Man United was my fault 2
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 3
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 6