Oct 24, 2012, 9:55 AM EDT
Alex Morgan, still just 23 years old, may eventually re-write all the U.S. women’s national team scoring records.
You know, the lofty marks that belong to Mia Hamm, but that may soon belong to Abby Wambach. Those.
But Morgan is no goal-mouth poacher; she’s a quality all-around attacker. Consider her assists marks:
The California native and recent Olympic Gold medalist tallied Nos. 17 and 18 for the year in last night’s 2-2 draw with Germany on the rain-slickened grass at Rentschler Field in Connecticut. That matches the fourth best year in assists for an American attacker.
Hamm holds the mark with 22 in 2004, followed by Carin Gabarra’s 21 assists in 1991 and Hamm’s 20 in 1998.
Hamm also had 18 assists in 1995 and 1996. So, safe to say Morgan finds herself in good company this morning. Not to mention still a little soggy, in all likelihood. Here are the complete game highlights from East Hartford:
.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Week 7 Preview: Fire look for first win vs. Revs; Dallas gets its crack at Toronto 0
- Report: Aston Villa ownership will change hands if club stays up 4
- Tim Howard inks Everton extension, signs through 2017-18 season 2
- Premier League Power Rankings: Liverpool or Chelsea for the title? – Week 34 0
- Neymar, Jordi Alba to miss the rest of Barcelona’s season 1
- Manchester: A city not united, as Blue and Red converge 2