Oct 25, 2012, 10:38 AM EDT
When Teal Bunbury fell to a season-ending injury back in August, supporters and media wondered how big a dent the loss of Sporting Kansas City’s top striking choice would make in the team’s playoff chances.
The answer, of course, was all down to the Sporting Kansas City’s other forward. More specifically, could C.J. Sapong reliably fill the void as SKC’s central striker, and could Kei Kamara keep doing his part, helping to mitigate the impact of Bunbury’s season-ending injury?
Last night, as Sporting Kansas City sealed the deal in the East, capturing their second consecutive conference championship, Sapong hit his ninth goal this year while Kamara contributed two assists.
Jacob Peterson had the other Sporting Kansas City goal, so his healthy return to the lineup lately has been helpful, too.
Kamara, by the way, has 11 goals and 8 assists, which makes it his best season yet. Here are last night’s highlights of SKC’s 2-1 win at PPL Park outside Philadelphia.
.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- From Prague, with love: Klinsmann previews USA’s friendly vs. Czech Republic 1
- Record summer: Breaking the transfer window down, by the numbers 0
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 1
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 3
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 1