Oct 25, 2012, 10:38 AM EDT
When Teal Bunbury fell to a season-ending injury back in August, supporters and media wondered how big a dent the loss of Sporting Kansas City’s top striking choice would make in the team’s playoff chances.
The answer, of course, was all down to the Sporting Kansas City’s other forward. More specifically, could C.J. Sapong reliably fill the void as SKC’s central striker, and could Kei Kamara keep doing his part, helping to mitigate the impact of Bunbury’s season-ending injury?
Last night, as Sporting Kansas City sealed the deal in the East, capturing their second consecutive conference championship, Sapong hit his ninth goal this year while Kamara contributed two assists.
Jacob Peterson had the other Sporting Kansas City goal, so his healthy return to the lineup lately has been helpful, too.
Kamara, by the way, has 11 goals and 8 assists, which makes it his best season yet. Here are last night’s highlights of SKC’s 2-1 win at PPL Park outside Philadelphia.
.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 3
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 3
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0
- VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend) 2