Oct 25, 2012, 4:42 PM EDT
One of the best on-field success stories of the 2012 Major League Soccer season has been the rapid rise of Alan Gordon. From (hilarious) footnote in “The Beckham Experiment” to getting the most important assist for the United States national team in 2012. Not a bad year at all.
And, with the San Jose Earthquakes about to start the playoffs, it’s not over yet. Gordon, a guy who will tell you he has rededicated himself to the sport, is making the best of it all. And people, including his coach, seem to be responding.
Check out this Frank Yallop quote from Graham Parker’s always excellent Designated Player column:
“It’s never tricky or complicated the way he plays — he’s direct and does what’s asked of him. But also, he doesn’t get a lot of credit for his feet and he’s got a clean good touch with both feet. His record of converting chances is amongst the best in the league. Now he’s over his injuries — OK he still has one or two knocks here and there — but he’s doing great. In the locker room, he’s one of those guys who’s not afraid to speak up and ask questions and who’ll sort the team out. He’s a vocal leader, but the key to that is that if he’s asking a teammate to work hard, he’ll work harder himself. Nothing worse than a player who’s all talk but doesn’t do it on the field, but he’s not like that.”
Every team could use a guy like Alan Gordon. Who would have thought that would be a thing to say this time last year?
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 2
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago