Oct 25, 2012, 1:17 PM EDT
It’s a sad day for Guillermo “Pando” Ramírez. The former Guatemalan international, known for his excellent hair, and two other players — Gustavo Cabrera and Yony Flores — were banned for life by FIFA for match fixing.
Last September, the trio was found guilty by the National Football Federation of Guatemala and banned from playing in their native country. The penalty handed down by FIFA on Wednesday means they will not be welcome at sanctioned events anywhere in the world.
That’s not good. But cheaters never, well, you know.
Let’s go to a happier time. Travel back to 2005 when things were better for the Guatemalan. He had a tough year with the Los Angeles Galaxy but came on as a substitute in the MLS Cup Final. The game was 0-0 in the 107th minute. Penalties loomed. Landon Donovan took a corner kick. Matt Reis punched it… right to Pando who was standing just outside the 18. He volleyed with his right foot and into the back of the net. Ball. Game.
Major League Soccer ranked it the No. 6 moment in the history of MLS Cup. Here’s a great video, which gets bonus points for a Donovan beard sighting as well as Taylor Twellman’s scarf.
Headline courtesy of Steve Davis. And what a headline it is.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 3
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 3
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 5
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 3