Oct 25, 2012, 4:54 PM EDT
Those reports about the 2016 Copa America between CONMEBOL and CONCACAF teams were indeed premature.
Sunil Gulati made that much clear in a statement emailed to ProSoccerTalk.com:
“While the idea of a Centennial tournament with some of the best teams in the hemisphere is certainly intriguing, it is not something we have agreed to host or participate in at this time. As CONCACAF stated, there are still a number of discussions that need to take place with CONMEBOL. U.S. Soccer would also need to be involved in discussions about hosting the tournament. We’re looking forward to those discussions in the near future.”
To recap: It’s not on, but it’s not off. That said, there’s lots of work to do before anything becomes official. The obstacles are huge, unfortunately. But we shall see, we shall see.
Much more here.
- Watch Live: Chicago Fire at San Jose Earthquakes (Lineups and Discuss) 0
- Liverpool 0-1 AS Roma: Marco Borriello winner gives Italians victory at Fenway 0
- Houston Dynamo land USMNT legend DaMarcus Beasley 0
- Watch Live: Liverpool vs. AS Roma (Lineups and Discuss) 1
- USMNT prospect Gedion Zelalem on Arsenal’s roster for Red Bulls match 4
- Stripping Russia of World Cup 2018? Germany makes the argument 7