Oct 26, 2012, 11:41 AM EST
What does Sandy have against the new playoff format, anyway?
The hurricane that now threatens the East coast could impact next week’s Eastern Conference playoff opener, as No. 4 meets No. 5 in a one-game elimination.
It’s early, of course, and there are lots of moving parts. It could be that next week’s playoff opener lands in Houston or Chicago. Or, Sandy could blow through the East Coast by Tuesday, leaving things a tad soggy but otherwise unbent.
The rain that accompanies this big system could still be falling on New York or Washington, D.C., about the time the Eastern Conference’s first playoff contest is kicking off Wednesday. And that would be unfortunate, obviously.
Matches in three different cities this weekend will help untangle the Eastern playoff order, which remains in big flux. The big match is in Chicago, where D.C. United and Chicago will both be desperate for the points that will solidify their post-season positioning.
Saturday’s schedule, including all three matches that affect the East positioning:
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 3
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 2
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint