Oct 26, 2012, 9:28 AM EST
The big news is that Chivas de Guadalajara, perhaps Mexico’s most popular team and certainly one of its most storied, is out the region’s club competition.
The L.A. Galaxy, Seattle and Houston from MLS were all in, and now they know which team will be in opposition in early March as they elimination rounds begin and the final march on next year’s FIFA Club World Cup commences.
Here is the final order of finish, followed by the quarterfinal match-ups:
1.) Monterrey (MEX)
2.) Santos Laguna (MEX)
3.) Seattle Sounders FC (USA)
4.) LA Galaxy (USA)
5.) Herediano (CRC)
6.) Tigres UANL (MEX)
7.) Houston Dynamo (USA)
8.) Xelaju (GUA)
(opening leg March 2-4; second leg March 9-11)
- Monterrey vs. Xelaju
- LA Galaxy vs. Herediano
- Santos Laguna vs. Houston Dynamo
- Seattle Sounders FC vs. Tigres UANL
So the Galaxy will begin right away with the Costa Rican side that just eliminated Real Salt Lake. L.A. improved its place in the seedings with a 3-2 win last night in El Salvador, as Bruce Arena leaned on the reserves to get the job done against Metapan.
Houston has the toughest assignment among MLS sides, facing one of Mexico’s top sides of the last few years. Santos was runner-up in last year’s Champions League tournament to Monterrey.
Mexico’s Monterrey will meet the upset darlings, Xelaju, only the second side from Guatemala to advance into the Champions League knockout round.
Chivas actually won last night, 2-1, but a 79th minute goal from the Guatemalans was enough to adjust the tiebreakers.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 1
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1
- Marquee win proves van Gaal’s Manchester United on the right track 0
- Three things we learned from Manchester United’s big win at Arsenal 0
- Arsenal 1-2 Manchester United: Too little too late for Giroud and the chance-squandering Gunners 1