Oct 26, 2012, 9:28 AM EDT
The big news is that Chivas de Guadalajara, perhaps Mexico’s most popular team and certainly one of its most storied, is out the region’s club competition.
The L.A. Galaxy, Seattle and Houston from MLS were all in, and now they know which team will be in opposition in early March as they elimination rounds begin and the final march on next year’s FIFA Club World Cup commences.
Here is the final order of finish, followed by the quarterfinal match-ups:
1.) Monterrey (MEX)
2.) Santos Laguna (MEX)
3.) Seattle Sounders FC (USA)
4.) LA Galaxy (USA)
5.) Herediano (CRC)
6.) Tigres UANL (MEX)
7.) Houston Dynamo (USA)
8.) Xelaju (GUA)
(opening leg March 2-4; second leg March 9-11)
- Monterrey vs. Xelaju
- LA Galaxy vs. Herediano
- Santos Laguna vs. Houston Dynamo
- Seattle Sounders FC vs. Tigres UANL
So the Galaxy will begin right away with the Costa Rican side that just eliminated Real Salt Lake. L.A. improved its place in the seedings with a 3-2 win last night in El Salvador, as Bruce Arena leaned on the reserves to get the job done against Metapan.
Houston has the toughest assignment among MLS sides, facing one of Mexico’s top sides of the last few years. Santos was runner-up in last year’s Champions League tournament to Monterrey.
Mexico’s Monterrey will meet the upset darlings, Xelaju, only the second side from Guatemala to advance into the Champions League knockout round.
Chivas actually won last night, 2-1, but a 79th minute goal from the Guatemalans was enough to adjust the tiebreakers.
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 6
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 9
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte