Oct 26, 2012, 9:28 AM EST
The big news is that Chivas de Guadalajara, perhaps Mexico’s most popular team and certainly one of its most storied, is out the region’s club competition.
The L.A. Galaxy, Seattle and Houston from MLS were all in, and now they know which team will be in opposition in early March as they elimination rounds begin and the final march on next year’s FIFA Club World Cup commences.
Here is the final order of finish, followed by the quarterfinal match-ups:
1.) Monterrey (MEX)
2.) Santos Laguna (MEX)
3.) Seattle Sounders FC (USA)
4.) LA Galaxy (USA)
5.) Herediano (CRC)
6.) Tigres UANL (MEX)
7.) Houston Dynamo (USA)
8.) Xelaju (GUA)
(opening leg March 2-4; second leg March 9-11)
- Monterrey vs. Xelaju
- LA Galaxy vs. Herediano
- Santos Laguna vs. Houston Dynamo
- Seattle Sounders FC vs. Tigres UANL
So the Galaxy will begin right away with the Costa Rican side that just eliminated Real Salt Lake. L.A. improved its place in the seedings with a 3-2 win last night in El Salvador, as Bruce Arena leaned on the reserves to get the job done against Metapan.
Houston has the toughest assignment among MLS sides, facing one of Mexico’s top sides of the last few years. Santos was runner-up in last year’s Champions League tournament to Monterrey.
Mexico’s Monterrey will meet the upset darlings, Xelaju, only the second side from Guatemala to advance into the Champions League knockout round.
Chivas actually won last night, 2-1, but a 79th minute goal from the Guatemalans was enough to adjust the tiebreakers.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 1
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes
- Players to Watch: Montreal Impact
- Ireland's Premier Division Season Kicks off
- Away-Goal Rule is the Novelty for this Year's MLS Playoffs