Oct 27, 2012, 7:46 PM EDT
Too bad it had to be on a penalty kick.
And especially too bad it had to be on a disputed penalty kick; Portland goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts appeared to make a pretty good play on the ball as Steven Lenhart fell inside the Timbers penalty area in Saturday’s match at Jeld-Wen Field.
Never mind, though. In the final analysis, no one will care how No. 27 happened.
Wondolowski stepped forward and confidently finished the penalty kick. That was No. 27 for the Earthquakes’ striker this year. So he shares the record (for now … the game is at halftime as this posts) with Roy Lassiter, who hit 27 for the defunct Tampa Bay Mutiny back in 1996.
Here’s the history maker:
- Omar Gonzalez still dreams of Europe but “committed to the Galaxy” 0
- EXCLUSIVE: Luke Shaw speaks out about Manchester United move 2
- Pep Guardiola praises Jurgen Klinsmann’s team concept, USMNT movement 2
- Premier League teams on US Soil: Tuesday’s roundup and look ahead 4
- Racial incident against Man City’s Fofana ends U-21 match in Croatia 1
- Sorting through the most recent DaMarcus Beasley-to-MLS reports 4