Oct 27, 2012, 7:46 PM EDT
Too bad it had to be on a penalty kick.
And especially too bad it had to be on a disputed penalty kick; Portland goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts appeared to make a pretty good play on the ball as Steven Lenhart fell inside the Timbers penalty area in Saturday’s match at Jeld-Wen Field.
Never mind, though. In the final analysis, no one will care how No. 27 happened.
Wondolowski stepped forward and confidently finished the penalty kick. That was No. 27 for the Earthquakes’ striker this year. So he shares the record (for now … the game is at halftime as this posts) with Roy Lassiter, who hit 27 for the defunct Tampa Bay Mutiny back in 1996.
Here’s the history maker:
- Norwich City 2-3 Liverpool: Sterling, Reds with one hand on the title 0
- Premier League Sunday Preview: Liverpool’s chance to tighten its grip; Fourth place in focus 0
- MLS Roundup: Sporting climbs to first in East; RSL stays undefeated 0
- Late Martins goal gives Seattle full points at Chivas USA (video) 0
- Grabavoy winner prolongs Portland’s agony against Real Salt Lake (video) 0
- Pérez’s late goal gives FC Dallas 2-1 win over Toronto FC (video) 2