Oct 27, 2012, 7:46 PM EDT
Too bad it had to be on a penalty kick.
And especially too bad it had to be on a disputed penalty kick; Portland goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts appeared to make a pretty good play on the ball as Steven Lenhart fell inside the Timbers penalty area in Saturday’s match at Jeld-Wen Field.
Never mind, though. In the final analysis, no one will care how No. 27 happened.
Wondolowski stepped forward and confidently finished the penalty kick. That was No. 27 for the Earthquakes’ striker this year. So he shares the record (for now … the game is at halftime as this posts) with Roy Lassiter, who hit 27 for the defunct Tampa Bay Mutiny back in 1996.
Here’s the history maker:
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 1
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 1
- League Cup Roundup: Balotelli saves Liverpool, Newcastle defeat Manchester City 0
- Report: Spanish legend Raul signs with the New York Cosmos 0
- Kolorov: City have been better than United for ‘five or six years’ 0
- MLS Playoffs Knockout Round Preview: Win or go home 1