Oct 27, 2012, 7:46 PM EDT
Too bad it had to be on a penalty kick.
And especially too bad it had to be on a disputed penalty kick; Portland goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts appeared to make a pretty good play on the ball as Steven Lenhart fell inside the Timbers penalty area in Saturday’s match at Jeld-Wen Field.
Never mind, though. In the final analysis, no one will care how No. 27 happened.
Wondolowski stepped forward and confidently finished the penalty kick. That was No. 27 for the Earthquakes’ striker this year. So he shares the record (for now … the game is at halftime as this posts) with Roy Lassiter, who hit 27 for the defunct Tampa Bay Mutiny back in 1996.
Here’s the history maker:
- International Champions Cup: Schedule revealed as Chelsea, Manchester United take on MLS sides 3
- After Bournemouth all but seal Premier League place, here’s some other minnows to make the top-flight 1
- Manchester United’s Javier Hernandez calls Real Madrid “best team in the world” 1
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Liverpool 1
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 8: Columbus Crew SC’s Ethan Finlay 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 8 0