Oct 29, 2012, 11:49 AM EST
Count Chris Pontius right at the top among D.C. United men who have stood and delivered in Dwayne De Rosario’s absence.
The bunch from RFK Stadium leaned impressively into the home stretch, even without their leader and leading scorer, who fell to a knee injury on Sept. 13.
Pontius hasn’t showed up consistently on the scoring lines of game summaries, but his hard-churning toil on the flank or as a second forward has been essential as D.C. United closed the season with a 5-0-2 mark (United’s season results are here), all without the league’s current MVP.
Can we all expect even more from United’s fourth-year attacker, as he preps for his first MLS post-season contest? Perhaps. Pontius says he is particularly pumped about United’s opening playoff opposition. He wanted New York all along, he told the Washington Times.
I wanted to be matched up against New York. I think most of the other guys on the team felt the same way. I like the way we match up, I like the players that I’ve got, and I’ll take the players on my team any day over any of their players.”
Pontius against New York this year: Well, he did have that hat trick the first of his MLS career, against the Red Bulls back in April (a 4-1 win at RFK.)
And he scored twice against against Hans Backe’s team in United’s 3-2 loss in June at Red Bull Arena.
So, probably no surprise that he’s bullish on this matchup.
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014