Oct 29, 2012, 6:45 AM EDT
For a match that seemed to have little on the line – the playoff matchups were all set before last night’s kickoff – the L.A. Galaxy’s 1-0 win over Seattle in the 2012 MLS regular season finale sure left a lot to talk about. So … let’s do that:
- First, it relegated Seattle to No. 3 in the standings, as Real Salt Lake clinched second place behind San Jose. That makes Real Salt Lake’s chances of hosting MLS Cup slightly better than Seattle’s should one of those clubs come through the West. (Neither team’s chances are very good, truth be told.)
- Eddie Johnson limped off in the first half with a hamstring injury. That’s fairly significant news, seeing as the re-born U.S. international is Seattle’s leading scorer. With 14 goals, he’s also the league’s sixth leading scorer. I’m sure you’ll hear more about this one – right here on this blog, in fact.
- Both teams used their top lineups, a little surprising in L.A.’s case, considering the Galaxy now potentially faces a schedule of three matches over 10 days, starting with Thursday’s elimination contest against Vancouver.
While you digest a little of that, here are highlights of last night’s match, including Mike Magee’s 82nd minute game winner.
- Premier League roundup: Tense Saturday, as relegation battle intensifies 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Aston Villa: Stunning finish sees City hold on after Guzan’s blunder 2
- Back in the big time: Watford promoted to the Premier League 3
- Burnley 0-1 Leicester City: Foxes move out of drop zone, send Clarets bottom! 0
- Southampton 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur: Visitors twice come back from Pelle goals 0
- Watch Live: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool (Lineups and Live Stream) 0