Oct 29, 2012, 10:05 AM EDT
Major League Soccer’s 17th playoff season begins Wednesday with the Eastern Conference, one-game knockout contest. The West version falls on Thursday. Here’s how things work:
- The first round, the “knockout round” is a one-game elimination between the 4th- and 5th-place finishers. Part of the concept behind adding the additional post-season slot two seasons ago (taking the playoff field from 8 to 10) was providing incentive to avoid this very match. It’s not just the extra chance to fall out contention; it’s the compressed schedule this midweek match creates. It really does supply a disadvantage to the team that has to play twice this week.
- The conference semifinals are a home-and-away, two-leg set beginning Saturday. The series winner is determined by total score; think of each match as “halves” of one game.
- The lower seeds host opening legs; the higher seeds get the second contest, the “return” match in our game’s vernacular.
- If the teams are tied after two legs, two 15-minute extra time periods will determine the winner, followed by penalty kicks, if necessary. That means “advantage higher seed” in the event the teams are level after 180 minutes.
- There is no “away goals” rule. That means away goals do not count double as they do in some international competition.
- The home-and-away format applies for the conference semifinal and conference finals.
- When it’s down to two teams, the higher seed hosts MLS Cup 2012. This is the new wrinkle – and a wonderful one.
Here is the schedule:
May 5, 2015, 3:04 PM EDT
The captain came to his team’s defense, but it ended up coming out quite awkward.
May 5, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
The Italian champions welcome the reigning European champions to Turin for the first leg of their semifinal. Follow all the action live.
May 5, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
Thought to be on his way out, Rais Mbolhi is back with the club. For now.
May 5, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
Oscar hasn’t appeared since his collision with David Ospina, but Dunga says the midfielder’s injury is training related.
May 5, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Didier Drogba is 37 years old, but still represents the best option for his role that Chelsea can buy.
May 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Just four days before opening the Gold Cup, the US will host a familiar CONCACAF opponent.
May 5, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
Newcastle appears to have lofty goals, but the prospects of bringing a Champions League striker to St. James Park while trying to stave off relegation appear grim.
May 5, 2015, 8:38 AM EDT
The 21-year-old Packwood saw his playing time significantly diminished this season, and finished the year on loan in League Two. Meanwhile, his experienced teammate Jonathan Spector is staying on.
May 5, 2015, 7:57 AM EDT
With Jose Mourinho “here to stay” Chelsea has looked to make that sentiment official.
May 4, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Christian Benteke’s two goals against not only pushed Aston Villa closer to Premier League safety, but earned the Belgian POTW honors.
May 4, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
This week’s standout performers are recognized as the 2014-15 Premier League season winds down.
May 4, 2015, 8:54 PM EDT
The first semifinal kicks off on Tuesday, as Juventus host Real Madrid, with Paul Pogba and Karim Benzema out injured.
May 4, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
If not for an incredibly slow start to the season, Arsenal might be neck and neck with Chelsea for the Premier League title.
May 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor takes a look back at Week 35 of the PL.
May 4, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
Alexis Sanchez and Aaron Ramsey provided all the scoring Arsenal needed in a dominant first half, making it a comfortable victory in the end.
May 4, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
Our first repeat winner as MLS Player of the Week, Fabian Castillo is in scary-good form right now.
May 4, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
The stars of Week 9 are recognized as MLS’s standout performers. Giovinco, Oba and the Dallas duo highlight this star-studded cast.
May 4, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Twenty-two players have hit the pitch for Chelsea so far this season. Let’s grade them out in order of Premier League import.
May 4, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
But what does that mean? If you’re reading it like we are, Marotta has not ruled out accepting a mega-millions offer for Pogba.
May 4, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
Laurent Koscielny makes his 200th appearance for Arsenal, which seeks to move into second place in the Premier League standings.
- LIVE – UEFA Champions League semifinal: Can Juventus beat Real Madrid in Turin? 0
- Reports: Chelsea gearing up contract extension talks with Mourinho 0
- UEFA Champions League preview: Juventus vs. Real Madrid in semifinal, 1st leg 2
- Premier League Playback: Title in the bag, can Chelsea now create a dynasty? 0
- Hull City 1-3 Arsenal: Gunners dominant in first half, cruise past Tigers 3
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 9 0