Oct 29, 2012, 10:05 AM EDT
Major League Soccer’s 17th playoff season begins Wednesday with the Eastern Conference, one-game knockout contest. The West version falls on Thursday. Here’s how things work:
- The first round, the “knockout round” is a one-game elimination between the 4th- and 5th-place finishers. Part of the concept behind adding the additional post-season slot two seasons ago (taking the playoff field from 8 to 10) was providing incentive to avoid this very match. It’s not just the extra chance to fall out contention; it’s the compressed schedule this midweek match creates. It really does supply a disadvantage to the team that has to play twice this week.
- The conference semifinals are a home-and-away, two-leg set beginning Saturday. The series winner is determined by total score; think of each match as “halves” of one game.
- The lower seeds host opening legs; the higher seeds get the second contest, the “return” match in our game’s vernacular.
- If the teams are tied after two legs, two 15-minute extra time periods will determine the winner, followed by penalty kicks, if necessary. That means “advantage higher seed” in the event the teams are level after 180 minutes.
- There is no “away goals” rule. That means away goals do not count double as they do in some international competition.
- The home-and-away format applies for the conference semifinal and conference finals.
- When it’s down to two teams, the higher seed hosts MLS Cup 2012. This is the new wrinkle – and a wonderful one.
Here is the schedule:
Jul 29, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Kaka and David Villa scored for the All Stars, which built on last year’s 2-1 win against Bayern Munich.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
Halftime substitutions including Andreas Pereira gave some life to United, but the Red Devils still couldn’t find the back of the net.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
The 86th minute tally came moments after FCKC had drawn level at 2-2.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
Could this be on account of overseas interest, or is he just ready to go closer to home?
Jul 29, 2015, 7:14 PM EDT
The Azerbaijani champions nearly walked out of Celtic Park with a deadlock, but Boyata’s second goal in as many games did the trick.
Jul 29, 2015, 6:18 PM EDT
Rog and Davo pod from Chelsea vs. Barcelona at FedExField in Landover, Maryland. Chelsea captain John Terry guests.
Jul 29, 2015, 5:33 PM EDT
It might be old hat for Drogba, but it’s pretty nutty for us.
Jul 29, 2015, 4:46 PM EDT
Tranquillo Barnetta is set to join Maurice Edu in the Philadelphia Union’s engine room, as the 30-year-old Bundesliga veteran makes his move on a free transfer.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
How different will City’s lineup look at the end of August? It’s hard to project anything without that knowledge, but we’ll make an attempt.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Robbie Brady and James Chester are leaving the Championship side for new homes back in England’s top flight.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:16 PM EDT
JPW discusses the chances that Norwich City, Bournemouth, and Watford have of staying up next season.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
The latest news around the soccer world.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
After losing his place at The Emirates last year, the 25-year-old will take a crack at proving himself again in Italy.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:40 AM EDT
Can Rodgers and the Reds bounce back to finish in the top four and win some silverware this season? His job might depend on it.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT
Mr. Mourinho and Mrs. Benitez are having a verbal battle via the press. This will not end well.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Mourinho suffers two injuries to key players in Chelsea’s final game of U.S. tour.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Ranieri has a big job on his hands to keep the Foxes out of the relegation zone. Can he succeed at the KP?
Jul 29, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
Legendary French midfielder is red-hot favorite to replace Blatter.
Jul 29, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Oh Eden, stop it. Check out his latest piece of genius.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:08 PM EDT
Close to 80,000 saw Barcelona move to 1-2 in three ICC matches. Barca finishes off its tourney vs. Fiorentina in Florence on Aug. 2.
- MLS All Stars 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: Kaka powers MLS to win 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: Chelsea’s John Terry joins Rog and Davo 0
- Swiss star Barnetta moves to MLS; Orlando City signs a pair of Europeans 4
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester City 0
- VIDEO: PST Extra – What should we expect from the Premier League’s promoted three? 0
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Liverpool 2