Oct 30, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
Three soccer brains are clearly better than one. So Richard Farley, Noah Davis and I huddled virtually to sort out our ProSoccerTalk picks for Major League Soccer awards.
Steve Davis: Instead of talking about Goalkeeper of the Year, should we all just take a moment to pen a note for Sporting KC coach Peter Vermes. I mean, he’s done the lifting for us right? He pretty much said we’re all dumb as a box of hammers if we don’t make his man Jimmy Nielsen our “slam dunk” choice. So, we should just check the box and move on … right?
Noah Davis: You mean every mom’s fantasy man? Have you seen the Q&A that came out of KC? That’s courtesy of Zac Rigg.
Richard Farley: It’s as if he and Sigi Schmid have competing PACs.
Schmid’s been beating the Michael Gspurning drum with Thor’s hammer, going out of his way two weeks ago to remind people that his man was still viable in a race everybody’d written off.
I’ll be honest: I’m not thrilled with either option. Nielsen’s got life easy for KC (though has been very good when called upon), and while Gspurning’s very good, there’s little about him that screams “award winner” …
Until you look at his competition. There isn’t much.
Steve Davis: Well, the numbers do lean ‘Gspurning.’ His goals-against average [0.73] was the third best in MLS. Ever! The team WAS 11-3-5 with their big Austrian.
But much as I hate to admit, Vermes is probably right. I suppose he’s been right about a lot of things this year. Probably more than anybody this side of Frank Yallop. And Ben Olsen.
Noah Davis: Andy Gruenebaum [from Columbus]?
Steve Davis: I do love me some Gruenebaum. Guy was under siege like Justin Bieber at the local mall. But these things never go to dudes that don’t make the playoffs. Wait, Dwayne De Rosario last year … ? Oh, never mind. I’ll go with Nielsen.
Noah Davis: It’s no fun when we all agree. Ryan Meara? Ah, hell, I gotta go with Nielsen as well.
Steve Davis: I kinda like it when we all get along. I feel a big group hug coming on …
Our choice: Sporting Kansas City’s Jimmy Nielsen
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 4
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead