Oct 30, 2012, 1:25 PM EST
Three soccer brains are clearly better than one. So Richard Farley, Noah Davis and I huddled virtually to sort out our ProSoccerTalk picks for Major League Soccer awards.
Steve Davis: Instead of talking about Goalkeeper of the Year, should we all just take a moment to pen a note for Sporting KC coach Peter Vermes. I mean, he’s done the lifting for us right? He pretty much said we’re all dumb as a box of hammers if we don’t make his man Jimmy Nielsen our “slam dunk” choice. So, we should just check the box and move on … right?
Noah Davis: You mean every mom’s fantasy man? Have you seen the Q&A that came out of KC? That’s courtesy of Zac Rigg.
Richard Farley: It’s as if he and Sigi Schmid have competing PACs.
Schmid’s been beating the Michael Gspurning drum with Thor’s hammer, going out of his way two weeks ago to remind people that his man was still viable in a race everybody’d written off.
I’ll be honest: I’m not thrilled with either option. Nielsen’s got life easy for KC (though has been very good when called upon), and while Gspurning’s very good, there’s little about him that screams “award winner” …
Until you look at his competition. There isn’t much.
Steve Davis: Well, the numbers do lean ‘Gspurning.’ His goals-against average [0.73] was the third best in MLS. Ever! The team WAS 11-3-5 with their big Austrian.
But much as I hate to admit, Vermes is probably right. I suppose he’s been right about a lot of things this year. Probably more than anybody this side of Frank Yallop. And Ben Olsen.
Noah Davis: Andy Gruenebaum [from Columbus]?
Steve Davis: I do love me some Gruenebaum. Guy was under siege like Justin Bieber at the local mall. But these things never go to dudes that don’t make the playoffs. Wait, Dwayne De Rosario last year … ? Oh, never mind. I’ll go with Nielsen.
Noah Davis: It’s no fun when we all agree. Ryan Meara? Ah, hell, I gotta go with Nielsen as well.
Steve Davis: I kinda like it when we all get along. I feel a big group hug coming on …
Our choice: Sporting Kansas City’s Jimmy Nielsen
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 29 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 6
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''