Oct 30, 2012, 1:25 PM EST
Three soccer brains are clearly better than one. So Richard Farley, Noah Davis and I huddled virtually to sort out our ProSoccerTalk picks for Major League Soccer awards.
Steve Davis: Instead of talking about Goalkeeper of the Year, should we all just take a moment to pen a note for Sporting KC coach Peter Vermes. I mean, he’s done the lifting for us right? He pretty much said we’re all dumb as a box of hammers if we don’t make his man Jimmy Nielsen our “slam dunk” choice. So, we should just check the box and move on … right?
Noah Davis: You mean every mom’s fantasy man? Have you seen the Q&A that came out of KC? That’s courtesy of Zac Rigg.
Richard Farley: It’s as if he and Sigi Schmid have competing PACs.
Schmid’s been beating the Michael Gspurning drum with Thor’s hammer, going out of his way two weeks ago to remind people that his man was still viable in a race everybody’d written off.
I’ll be honest: I’m not thrilled with either option. Nielsen’s got life easy for KC (though has been very good when called upon), and while Gspurning’s very good, there’s little about him that screams “award winner” …
Until you look at his competition. There isn’t much.
Steve Davis: Well, the numbers do lean ‘Gspurning.’ His goals-against average [0.73] was the third best in MLS. Ever! The team WAS 11-3-5 with their big Austrian.
But much as I hate to admit, Vermes is probably right. I suppose he’s been right about a lot of things this year. Probably more than anybody this side of Frank Yallop. And Ben Olsen.
Noah Davis: Andy Gruenebaum [from Columbus]?
Steve Davis: I do love me some Gruenebaum. Guy was under siege like Justin Bieber at the local mall. But these things never go to dudes that don’t make the playoffs. Wait, Dwayne De Rosario last year … ? Oh, never mind. I’ll go with Nielsen.
Noah Davis: It’s no fun when we all agree. Ryan Meara? Ah, hell, I gotta go with Nielsen as well.
Steve Davis: I kinda like it when we all get along. I feel a big group hug coming on …
Our choice: Sporting Kansas City’s Jimmy Nielsen
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)