ProSoccerTalk’s Award conversations: Most Valuable Player

Oct 30, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT

San Jose Earthquakes v Portland Timbers Getty Images

Three soccer brains are clearly better than one. So Richard Farley, Noah Davis and I huddled virtually to sort out our ProSoccerTalk picks for Major League Soccer awards.

(MORE: Coach of the Year conversation and choice)

(MORE: Rookie of the Year conversation and choice)

(MORE: Defender of the Year conversation and choice)

(MORE: Goalkeeper of the Year conversation and choice)

Steve Davis: Best for last, eh, boys? But I sense a short conversation coming on. I mean, a guy scores 27 goals and matches the all-time MLS season scoring record … So if we can all quickly agree on Chris Wondolowski, I’ve got the last ep of Homeland on DVR that I’m dying to watch. I’m going to pour some Jose Cuervo Especial and do a shot every time Claire Danes cries. Man, no one does tears like she does!

Noah Davis: Don’t tell me anything! I’m on the fifth episode of season one. Hopefully this hurricane will give me a chance to catch up with the rest of the world. Or the power will go out, and I’ll sit in the dark for the next 48 hours. I may need some of that Jose Cuervo, Steve.

Oh, and yes, Mr. Smiley for MVP. Couldn’t happen to a nicer dude.

Steve Davis: He is a good fellow, isn’t he?

Richard Farley: Two spots on the ballot, Steve. Who ya’ got No. 2?

Steve Davis:  I’ve got Robbie Keane next. Not a lot of talk about the guy, but his movement off the ball near goal makes so much happen for Bruce and Becks and the boys. And his numbers [16 goals, 9 assists] are sure bumping into MVP territory.

By the way, according to Alexi Lalas and that famous MVP criteria of his, Kenny Cooper is No. 2. Kenny Cooper, yo! Noah, who is your Dos?

Noah Davis: Thierry Henry, the man who handed KC all those goals.

Steve Davis: Wait a minute … I guess I got too distracted by Claire Danes’ quivering lip; I don’t understand your (most certainly brilliant and over my head) Henry-KC reference.

Noah Davis: KC is secret code for Kenny Cooper.

Steve Davis: D’oh! Of course. I was thinking ‘Kansas City.’ And did we get a MVP Dos from Farley? Somebody wake that guy up. He does love a good nap.

Richard Farley: I’m nothing if not predictable.

I put Osvaldo Alonso number two on my ballot, a difficult decision over Thierry Henry. Let me just offer this defense to those who don’t get to watch a lot of Sounders games: People think of Alonso as just a destroyer, but he’s the person that manages Seattle’s game in transition, especially as the Sounders have gone away from using Fredy Montero as much as a number 10 and relied more on Mauro Rosales coming in from the right. Alonso’s the man who makes that connection, and until Christian Tiffert adjusted to MLS over the last month, Alonso was a one man show in the middle.

Also, ever wonder how Seattle – with a decent but average defensive back five – finished with the league’s second fewest goals allowed? Ozzie Alonso.

Steve Davis: Hmmm. I’ve got Dax McCarty over Alonso as holding mid on my Best XI.  I sure hope I don’t sit next to Richard at the next ProSoccerTalk pancake breakfast. Talk about tense!

So, we’re all good on Chris “Wonder Wondo” Wondolowski as our MVP?  I’ve got to get the engraving going.

Our choice: San Jose’s Chris Wondolowski

Latest Posts
  1. WATCH: Premier League live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 34

Apr 25, 2015, 7:15 AM EDT

Live Extra

Where and how to watch every single PL game live online or via the app during Week 34.

2. Watch Live: Southampton vs. Tottenham Hotspur (Lineups and Live Stream)

Apr 25, 2015, 7:07 AM EDT

Britain Soccer Premier League AP

USMNT winger/back DeAndre Yedlin is on the bench for Spurs.

3. MLS Snapshot: Colorado Rapids 1-1 FC Dallas

Apr 25, 2015, 12:21 AM EDT

Colorado Rapids vs Columbus Crew Colorado Rapids vs Columbus Crew

FC Dallas took the lead into halftime, but a second half red card to Blas Perez let Colorado sneak back for a point.

4. Tony Pulis: I’m more than just an escape artist

Apr 24, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT

Crystal Palace v West Bromwich Albion - Premier League Getty Images

Tony Pulis is known for turning around struggling clubs, but the West Brom manager says he is more than just a last resort.

5. MLS Snapshot: Chicago Fire 1-0 New York City FC

Apr 24, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT

Toronto FC v Chicago Fire Getty Images

David Accam’s first MLS goal was enough for Chicago to down a NYCFC side that played more than 60 minutes a man down.

6. Americans Abroad preview: Howard and Guzan face Manchester opposition

Apr 24, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT

Everton v Burnley - Premier League Getty Images

Tim Howard takes on his former club Manchester United, while Brad Guzan looks to keep Manchester City off the scoresheet.

7. Tottenham looking to sell Adebayor at season’s end

Apr 24, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-FA CUP-TOTTENHAM-LEICESTER Getty Images

Finding a club to pay his $150,000 per week wages is the only problem for Spurs.

8. Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool

Apr 24, 2015, 7:46 PM EDT

Aston Villa v Liverpool - FA Cup Semi-Final Aston Villa v Liverpool - FA Cup Semi-Final

The Baggies must defend The Hawthorns as Liverpool is barely clinging on to top-four dreams.

9. Hull City players face pay cuts up to 50-percent if relegated

Apr 24, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Swansea City v Hull City - Premier League Getty Images

Clinging onto safety in the Premier League, Hull City players now have some added incentive to avoid the drop.

10. Van Gaal: Ryan Giggs will be the next manager at Manchester United

Apr 24, 2015, 5:37 PM EDT

Manchester United Training and Press Conference Manchester United Training and Press Conference

Still in his first season as manager at Old Trafford, LVG has already endorsed his top assistant to be the next in line.

11. Premier League Preview: Manchester City vs. Aston Villa

Apr 24, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT

Can Tim Sherwood and Aston Villa continue their climb up the table at the Etihad?

12. SportsWorld: Jose Fonte talks playing with Ronaldo, shares thoughts on MLS

Apr 24, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT

Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton - Premier League Getty Images

PST’s Joe Prince-Wright sat down with the Southampton defender to see how the Saints’ skipper has evolved into one of the best center-backs in the Premier League.

13. VIDEO: PST Extra asks if Liverpool, Manchester City should get new managers

Apr 24, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT

Liverpool v Manchester City Getty Images

In the latest PST Extra we take a quick look at why whispers about managers losing their jobs at Liverpool, Man City are getting louder.

14. Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Time for the underdogs to shine

Apr 24, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT

Chelsea v Burnley - Premier League Getty Images

PST’s Lead Writer and Editor predicts the scores in the PL this weekend.

15. Could Tottenham share their stadium with an NFL team? Here’s how it will work

Apr 24, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT

SPURSSTADIUM1

Spurs are reportedly in talks with the NFL about housing a franchise in their new stadium.

16. VIDEO: PST Extra picks Premier League’s Best XI from 2014-15 season. Agree?

Apr 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League Getty Images

What do you think of these 11 players getting Team of the Year honors?

17. WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 34

Apr 24, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT

PremierLeagueNBC

Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 34.

18. Jose Mourinho: “Arsene Wenger is not my rival” ahead of Arsenal vs. Chelsea

Apr 24, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT

WengerMourinho Getty Images

Mourinho stirs the pot before huge clash with Arsenal on Sunday.

19. Premier League Preview: Southampton vs. Tottenham Hotspur

Apr 24, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT

Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton - Premier League Getty Images

Can Saints get revenge on Pochettino as he returns to St Mary’s? Watch live, Saturday, 7:45 a.m ET.

20. Injury update on Chelsea’s Diego Costa. Is he fit for London derby vs. Arsenal?

Apr 24, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT

Chelsea v Liverpool - Capital One Cup Semi-Final: Second Leg Getty Images

Jose Mourinho has delivered an update on Costa’s progress ahead of Sunday’s big game.

Should Chelsea be more entertaining?