ProSoccerTalk’s Award conversations: Most Valuable Player

Oct 30, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT

San Jose Earthquakes v Portland Timbers Getty Images

Three soccer brains are clearly better than one. So Richard Farley, Noah Davis and I huddled virtually to sort out our ProSoccerTalk picks for Major League Soccer awards.

(MORE: Coach of the Year conversation and choice)

(MORE: Rookie of the Year conversation and choice)

(MORE: Defender of the Year conversation and choice)

(MORE: Goalkeeper of the Year conversation and choice)

Steve Davis: Best for last, eh, boys? But I sense a short conversation coming on. I mean, a guy scores 27 goals and matches the all-time MLS season scoring record … So if we can all quickly agree on Chris Wondolowski, I’ve got the last ep of Homeland on DVR that I’m dying to watch. I’m going to pour some Jose Cuervo Especial and do a shot every time Claire Danes cries. Man, no one does tears like she does!

Noah Davis: Don’t tell me anything! I’m on the fifth episode of season one. Hopefully this hurricane will give me a chance to catch up with the rest of the world. Or the power will go out, and I’ll sit in the dark for the next 48 hours. I may need some of that Jose Cuervo, Steve.

Oh, and yes, Mr. Smiley for MVP. Couldn’t happen to a nicer dude.

Steve Davis: He is a good fellow, isn’t he?

Richard Farley: Two spots on the ballot, Steve. Who ya’ got No. 2?

Steve Davis:  I’ve got Robbie Keane next. Not a lot of talk about the guy, but his movement off the ball near goal makes so much happen for Bruce and Becks and the boys. And his numbers [16 goals, 9 assists] are sure bumping into MVP territory.

By the way, according to Alexi Lalas and that famous MVP criteria of his, Kenny Cooper is No. 2. Kenny Cooper, yo! Noah, who is your Dos?

Noah Davis: Thierry Henry, the man who handed KC all those goals.

Steve Davis: Wait a minute … I guess I got too distracted by Claire Danes’ quivering lip; I don’t understand your (most certainly brilliant and over my head) Henry-KC reference.

Noah Davis: KC is secret code for Kenny Cooper.

Steve Davis: D’oh! Of course. I was thinking ‘Kansas City.’ And did we get a MVP Dos from Farley? Somebody wake that guy up. He does love a good nap.

Richard Farley: I’m nothing if not predictable.

I put Osvaldo Alonso number two on my ballot, a difficult decision over Thierry Henry. Let me just offer this defense to those who don’t get to watch a lot of Sounders games: People think of Alonso as just a destroyer, but he’s the person that manages Seattle’s game in transition, especially as the Sounders have gone away from using Fredy Montero as much as a number 10 and relied more on Mauro Rosales coming in from the right. Alonso’s the man who makes that connection, and until Christian Tiffert adjusted to MLS over the last month, Alonso was a one man show in the middle.

Also, ever wonder how Seattle – with a decent but average defensive back five – finished with the league’s second fewest goals allowed? Ozzie Alonso.

Steve Davis: Hmmm. I’ve got Dax McCarty over Alonso as holding mid on my Best XI.  I sure hope I don’t sit next to Richard at the next ProSoccerTalk pancake breakfast. Talk about tense!

So, we’re all good on Chris “Wonder Wondo” Wondolowski as our MVP?  I’ve got to get the engraving going.

Our choice: San Jose’s Chris Wondolowski

Latest Posts
  1. Galatasaray’s 3-D Tifo has demanded all others to step their game up

Oct 22, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 10.48.58 PM

How did the Galatasaray supporters pull off this Tifo before Wednesday’s match against Borussia Dortmund? How?!?

2. Thursday’s Europa League preview: Spurs go Greek, Everton faces Lille

Oct 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Europa League AP

The pair of Premier League clubs remaining in the competition face quite different tests on Thursday.

3. PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum?

Oct 22, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

Nick Hagglund; Michael Bradley AP

Perhaps it isn’t the sexiest year for rookies in Major League Soccer, but there’s a quartet of names set to stick around for a while.

4. Arsene Wenger: We went big and it paid off against Anderlecht

Oct 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

“I had hope, it maybe didn’t look like it, but it happened,” Wenger said.

5. It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14

Oct 22, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT

James Rodriguez AP

“So overall, it’s a squad with a lot of experience playing at the highest level, and this will be another great benchmark for us,” Klinsmann said.

6. Brendan Rodgers remarks on Balotelli and Pepe’s halftime shirt swap

Oct 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Champions League AP

Of course many are claiming this “is the beginning of end” for Balotelli on Merseyside. That seems a bit much.

7. VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend)

Oct 22, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT

Erik Hurtado AP

Here’s the bar, Week 33 of Major League Soccer: Please feel free to raise it.

8. UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll

Oct 22, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, AP

We are at the halfway point in Groups A-D, and some English clubs are concerned about their fortunes to be sure.

9. Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool

Oct 22, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT

It was a night to forget for the home side, as Real ruled at Anfield. Here’s what we learned.

10. Arsenal’s Podolski, Gibbs break Belgian hearts in left-for-late win

Oct 22, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

The 21-year-old Honduran international did what a dangerous Alexis Sanchez couldn’t, but Arsenal was rescued late.

11. Michel Platini denies making ebola comments which angered African Confederation

Oct 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT

Platini Getty Images

The CAF claimed Platini said something he didn’t, and it hurt his feelings.

12. Setting the scene at Anfield, as Liverpool host Real Madrid in UEFA Champions League

Oct 22, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

FBL-EUR-C1-LIVERPOOL-REALMADRID FBL-EUR-C1-LIVERPOOL-REALMADRID

Here’s what it’s like at Anfield, as Liverpool host Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League.

13. FOLLOW LIVE – Champions League returns for Wednesday slate

Oct 22, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

Ronaldo Getty Images

With yesterday’s goal frenzy, will today give us the same excitement?

14. Robinho being investigated for sexually assaulting teenager

Oct 22, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT

Robinho Getty Images

This is the second time Robinho is under investigation for such an alleged incident.

15. David Villa’s time in Australia could be up already

Oct 22, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

Villa Getty Images

NYCFC’s first Designated Player will be returning to the United States to fulfill commercial and marketing obligations, and it’s unclear whether he will make his way back to Australia to finish out his loan.

16. WATCH: Geoff Cameron says he’s fighting for a central position

Oct 22, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT

Cameron Getty Images

Now that he’s back from a hernia problem, the American told Stoke’s YouTube channel that he is no longer a right-back and the club is aware of where he wants to play.

17. Men in Blazers podcast: Whiplash from QPR-Liverpool, Klinsmann-Garber, plus Josh Lambo

Oct 22, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT

meninblazers

Rog and Davo gain whiplash from QPR-Liverpool, and the Jurgen Klinsmann-Don Garber saga.

18. Portland Timbers out of CONCACAF CL after loss in Honduras

Oct 22, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT

TimbersOlimpia Getty Images

The MLS side was eliminated from group stage play on an away goals tiebreaker as Honduran side Olimpia goes through.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?