ProSoccerTalk’s Award conversations: Most Valuable Player

Oct 30, 2012, 2:00 PM EST

San Jose Earthquakes v Portland Timbers Getty Images

Three soccer brains are clearly better than one. So Richard Farley, Noah Davis and I huddled virtually to sort out our ProSoccerTalk picks for Major League Soccer awards.

(MORE: Coach of the Year conversation and choice)

(MORE: Rookie of the Year conversation and choice)

(MORE: Defender of the Year conversation and choice)

(MORE: Goalkeeper of the Year conversation and choice)

Steve Davis: Best for last, eh, boys? But I sense a short conversation coming on. I mean, a guy scores 27 goals and matches the all-time MLS season scoring record … So if we can all quickly agree on Chris Wondolowski, I’ve got the last ep of Homeland on DVR that I’m dying to watch. I’m going to pour some Jose Cuervo Especial and do a shot every time Claire Danes cries. Man, no one does tears like she does!

Noah Davis: Don’t tell me anything! I’m on the fifth episode of season one. Hopefully this hurricane will give me a chance to catch up with the rest of the world. Or the power will go out, and I’ll sit in the dark for the next 48 hours. I may need some of that Jose Cuervo, Steve.

Oh, and yes, Mr. Smiley for MVP. Couldn’t happen to a nicer dude.

Steve Davis: He is a good fellow, isn’t he?

Richard Farley: Two spots on the ballot, Steve. Who ya’ got No. 2?

Steve Davis:  I’ve got Robbie Keane next. Not a lot of talk about the guy, but his movement off the ball near goal makes so much happen for Bruce and Becks and the boys. And his numbers [16 goals, 9 assists] are sure bumping into MVP territory.

By the way, according to Alexi Lalas and that famous MVP criteria of his, Kenny Cooper is No. 2. Kenny Cooper, yo! Noah, who is your Dos?

Noah Davis: Thierry Henry, the man who handed KC all those goals.

Steve Davis: Wait a minute … I guess I got too distracted by Claire Danes’ quivering lip; I don’t understand your (most certainly brilliant and over my head) Henry-KC reference.

Noah Davis: KC is secret code for Kenny Cooper.

Steve Davis: D’oh! Of course. I was thinking ‘Kansas City.’ And did we get a MVP Dos from Farley? Somebody wake that guy up. He does love a good nap.

Richard Farley: I’m nothing if not predictable.

I put Osvaldo Alonso number two on my ballot, a difficult decision over Thierry Henry. Let me just offer this defense to those who don’t get to watch a lot of Sounders games: People think of Alonso as just a destroyer, but he’s the person that manages Seattle’s game in transition, especially as the Sounders have gone away from using Fredy Montero as much as a number 10 and relied more on Mauro Rosales coming in from the right. Alonso’s the man who makes that connection, and until Christian Tiffert adjusted to MLS over the last month, Alonso was a one man show in the middle.

Also, ever wonder how Seattle – with a decent but average defensive back five – finished with the league’s second fewest goals allowed? Ozzie Alonso.

Steve Davis: Hmmm. I’ve got Dax McCarty over Alonso as holding mid on my Best XI.  I sure hope I don’t sit next to Richard at the next ProSoccerTalk pancake breakfast. Talk about tense!

So, we’re all good on Chris “Wonder Wondo” Wondolowski as our MVP?  I’ve got to get the engraving going.

Our choice: San Jose’s Chris Wondolowski

Latest Posts
  1. DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution

Jan 29, 2015, 7:10 PM EST

Mattia Destro, AS Roma Mattia Destro, AS Roma

What went down on Thursday, the 29th day of this January transfer window? A full recap, inside.

2. Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS

Jan 29, 2015, 5:36 PM EST

Juan Agudelo, FC Utrecht Juan Agudelo, FC Utrecht

Agudelo is back in MLS, where he probably should have been all along.

3. Russia to cut budget for 2018 World Cup, as economy continues to struggle

Jan 29, 2015, 3:18 PM EST

FIFA FIFA

Putin and Russia have already had to cut costs for the 2018 World Cup.

4. Alexis Sanchez an injury concern for Arsenal

Jan 29, 2015, 2:43 PM EST

Arsenal v Southampton - Premier League

Arsenal’s main man is touch and go for this weekend’s game against Aston Villa.

5. Daniel Sturridge could return from injury for Liverpool this weekend against West Ham

Jan 29, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Liverpool FC Training Session Liverpool FC Training Session

Liverpool’s leading striker could return to action this Saturday after five months out.

6. How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash?

Jan 29, 2015, 1:02 PM EST

Manchester City v Chelsea - Premier League Getty Images

With players out and title dreams on the line, how will Chelsea and City line up on Saturday?

7. VIDEO: Jurgen Klinsmann’s a stud, backheels TWO balls at the same time

Jan 29, 2015, 11:43 AM EST

jurgen_klinsmann Getty Images

Watch Klinsmann’s insane piece of skill from the friendly vs. Chile on Wednesday. My word.

8. Lots drawn: Guinea in, Mali out as Africa Cup of Nations quarterfinals set

Jan 29, 2015, 11:08 AM EST

FBL-AFR-2015-MATCH24-GUI-MLI FBL-AFR-2015-MATCH24-GUI-MLI

Guinea won the lottery and are through to the last eight. Here’s the quarterfinal field for AFCON.

9. Freddy Adu heading back to MLS? Reports claims two teams interested

Jan 29, 2015, 9:45 AM EST

Fredy Adu made his first start for Bahia in Brazil. Getty Images

Former D.C. United, RSL and Union player heading back home?

10. DONE DEAL: Arsenal, West Brom and Villarreal all got new players Wednesday

Jan 28, 2015, 11:10 PM EST

arsenal.com arsenal.com

So what went down on Wednesday, as the transfer window took another step toward slamming shut?

11. VIDEO: Christian Eriksen scores a free kick for the ages in League Cup semi

Jan 28, 2015, 10:20 PM EST

Sheffield United v Tottenham Hotspur - Capital One Cup Semi-Final: Second Leg Getty Images

Set up for a free kick outside the 18, Eriksen not only sent an arrow whizzing over the goal, but he managed to spin it into the far upper 90.

12. Real Madrid will change the name of the Santiago Bernabeu

Jan 28, 2015, 9:58 PM EST

Bernabeu Getty Images

The La Liga giant has woked out a sponsorship deal with United Arab Emirates-based International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC).

13. USMNT postgame reaction: Jozy unsure of 3-5-2, Klinsmann explains changes

Jan 28, 2015, 9:17 PM EST

Klinsmann AP

Jurgen Klinsmann remained upbeat, while Jozy Altidore was obviously disappointed.

14. Player Ratings: Some good, some not so good in Chile’s 3-2 win over the U.S.

Jan 28, 2015, 8:42 PM EST

Chile US Soccer AP

Breaking down the good, the bad and the ugly from Wednesday’s 3-2 loss in Chile.

15. 3-5-2 system shows life, but plenty of work is needed

Jan 28, 2015, 8:15 PM EST

Yedlin Getty Images

Jurgen Klinsmann said he played the 3-CB system because he had DeAndre Yedlin available. So did it work?

Top five Premier League goals: Week 22