ProSoccerTalk’s Award conversations: Most Valuable Player

Oct 30, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT

San Jose Earthquakes v Portland Timbers Getty Images

Three soccer brains are clearly better than one. So Richard Farley, Noah Davis and I huddled virtually to sort out our ProSoccerTalk picks for Major League Soccer awards.

(MORE: Coach of the Year conversation and choice)

(MORE: Rookie of the Year conversation and choice)

(MORE: Defender of the Year conversation and choice)

(MORE: Goalkeeper of the Year conversation and choice)

Steve Davis: Best for last, eh, boys? But I sense a short conversation coming on. I mean, a guy scores 27 goals and matches the all-time MLS season scoring record … So if we can all quickly agree on Chris Wondolowski, I’ve got the last ep of Homeland on DVR that I’m dying to watch. I’m going to pour some Jose Cuervo Especial and do a shot every time Claire Danes cries. Man, no one does tears like she does!

Noah Davis: Don’t tell me anything! I’m on the fifth episode of season one. Hopefully this hurricane will give me a chance to catch up with the rest of the world. Or the power will go out, and I’ll sit in the dark for the next 48 hours. I may need some of that Jose Cuervo, Steve.

Oh, and yes, Mr. Smiley for MVP. Couldn’t happen to a nicer dude.

Steve Davis: He is a good fellow, isn’t he?

Richard Farley: Two spots on the ballot, Steve. Who ya’ got No. 2?

Steve Davis:  I’ve got Robbie Keane next. Not a lot of talk about the guy, but his movement off the ball near goal makes so much happen for Bruce and Becks and the boys. And his numbers [16 goals, 9 assists] are sure bumping into MVP territory.

By the way, according to Alexi Lalas and that famous MVP criteria of his, Kenny Cooper is No. 2. Kenny Cooper, yo! Noah, who is your Dos?

Noah Davis: Thierry Henry, the man who handed KC all those goals.

Steve Davis: Wait a minute … I guess I got too distracted by Claire Danes’ quivering lip; I don’t understand your (most certainly brilliant and over my head) Henry-KC reference.

Noah Davis: KC is secret code for Kenny Cooper.

Steve Davis: D’oh! Of course. I was thinking ‘Kansas City.’ And did we get a MVP Dos from Farley? Somebody wake that guy up. He does love a good nap.

Richard Farley: I’m nothing if not predictable.

I put Osvaldo Alonso number two on my ballot, a difficult decision over Thierry Henry. Let me just offer this defense to those who don’t get to watch a lot of Sounders games: People think of Alonso as just a destroyer, but he’s the person that manages Seattle’s game in transition, especially as the Sounders have gone away from using Fredy Montero as much as a number 10 and relied more on Mauro Rosales coming in from the right. Alonso’s the man who makes that connection, and until Christian Tiffert adjusted to MLS over the last month, Alonso was a one man show in the middle.

Also, ever wonder how Seattle – with a decent but average defensive back five – finished with the league’s second fewest goals allowed? Ozzie Alonso.

Steve Davis: Hmmm. I’ve got Dax McCarty over Alonso as holding mid on my Best XI.  I sure hope I don’t sit next to Richard at the next ProSoccerTalk pancake breakfast. Talk about tense!

So, we’re all good on Chris “Wonder Wondo” Wondolowski as our MVP?  I’ve got to get the engraving going.

Our choice: San Jose’s Chris Wondolowski

Latest Posts
  1. A list of Manchester United-linked names to consider in silly season

Jul 31, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT

twitter.com/officialsslazio twitter.com/officialsslazio

Remember when Marco Reus, Dries Mertens and Leighton Baines solidified Manchester United’s status in Europe? Us neither.

2. Rhode Island man sues Cristiano Ronaldo over CR7 trademark

Jul 31, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT

FBL-ESP-CUP-REALMADRID-ATLETICOMADRID Getty Images

Cristiano Ronaldo and Christopher Renzi are looking horns over the CR7 trademark.

3. Report: Ochoa to Malaga is on as Mexican goalkeeper replaces Caballero

Jul 31, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT

Guillermo Ochoa AP

Guillermo Ochoa starred in the 2014 World Cup for Mexico, and now will try to fill Willy Caballero’s shoes at Malaga.

4. Sierra Leone squad banned from traveling as Ebola virus spreads

Jul 31, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT

Sierra Leone Getty Images

As deadly virus continues to spread, the Seychelles refuse to let Sierra Leone travel for qualifier.

5. Video: Pepe spits on Keita; Latter claims past racial slur

Jul 31, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT

Ashley Cole, Pepe AP

Seydou Keita has left Barcelona, but being in a different league has not stopped the animosity between the AS Roma midfielder and Real Madrid’s Pepe.

6. Steven Gerrard: “Luis Suarez too good for Arsenal”

Jul 31, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT

Suarez and Gerrard both nominated for PFA award, as Liverpool dominate. AP

Gerrard: “With all due respect to them, I said to Suarez that he was too good for Arsenal.”

7. SI report: Bayern high on Julian Green, turned down PL loan offers

Jul 31, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT

Bayern Munich's Julian Green fights for the ball with Al-Merrikh's Ramadan Ajab during their friendly soccer match in Doha Reuters

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said several Premier League teams had interest in 19-year-old American striker Julian Green.

8. Eddie Johnson response to Brian Ching’s criticism? “Scoreboard”

Jul 31, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT

South Korea v United States Getty Images

Ching said his former USMNT teammate needs incentive-laden contracts to thrive, while Johnson claims Ching is jealous.

9. Thursday transfer rumor roundup: Kljestan to Galaxy, USMNT’er to Crew?

Jul 31, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT

kljestan Getty Images

Jermaine Jones is not the only US midfielder rumored to come home, while two Red Devils are tipped for Madrid.

10. Testimony in death of Michigan referee provides disturbing glimpse into incident

Jul 31, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT

www.hometownlife.com (Bill Bressler) www.hometownlife.com (Bill Bressler)

An altercation between a player and referee in a men’s league game left the official dead. What followed has been anything but pretty.

11. Simeone praises Klinsmann’s US program that “seduces us as coaches”

Jul 31, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT

Portugal Champions League Soccer AP

The World Cup praise has been flowing for Klinsmann in international circles, though American analysts like Alexi Lalas, Eric Wynalda and others have condemned the manager’s approach as too cautious.

12. Neymar’s recovery from World Cup back injury “almost 100 percent”

Jul 31, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT

Neymar AP

Neymar’s health could be the key to whether Barcelona can weather the Luis Suarez suspension in pursuit of La Liga’s title.

13. Glazer family to make $150 million in Manchester United stock sale

Jul 31, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT

Britain Soccer Premier League

The Red Devils’ owners are making more of the club public following the death of patriarch Malcolm, and the club could lose adidas money if on-field success doesn’t return.

14. Reports: Jermaine Jones coming to Chicago, move welcomed by Fire

Jul 31, 2014, 7:51 AM EDT

Jermaine Jones Instagram Jermaine Jones Instagram

Since putting in a good effort for the USMNT at the World Cup, Jones had been sorting out his next career move and partying with celebrities like Paris Hilton and Mike Tyson.

15. MLS Snapshot: Real Salt Lake 1-1 New York Red Bulls

Jul 31, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT

Chicago Fire v New York Red Bulls Getty Images

Thierry Henry’s second half equalizer takes earns a point at Rio Tinto.

16. MLS Snapshot: New England Revolution 3-0 Colorado Rapids

Jul 30, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT

New York Red Bulls v New England Revolution Getty Images

The Revs’ eight-game losing streak ends thanks to another strong night from Lee Nguyen.

17. MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 3-0 Toronto FC

Jul 30, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT

D.C. United's Eddie Johnson scored for the first time since being traded to the club this winter. His 84th minute goal left his team's game with Montréal tied, 1-1. (Photo: AP Photos) AP

The Red fall nine points back of second place United in the Eastern Conference.

18. Southampton’s replacement for Luke Shaw: Ryan Bertrand, on loan

Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 3.46.35 PM

24-year-old defender loaned out for the seventh time.

19. Ugly scenes in Northern Ireland as Mexican U-19 player attempts to kick opponent’s head during Milk Cup brawl

Jul 30, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 4.26.41 PM

Game is eventually cut short after a yet unnamed player aimed at the head of a fallen opponent.

20. Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández

Jul 30, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT

Chicharito Getty Images

Atlético’s interest could develop into Chicharito’s best option.