Oct 31, 2012, 10:55 AM EST
No one does “playoffs” like coach Dominic Kinnear and his Houston Dynamo. The men in orange know just how to navigate the post season, which is why Houston has a good chance tonight despite an overall 2012 record on the road (3-9-5) that’s certainly nothing to brag about.
Kinnear himself is 10-7-4 in the post-season, with two MLS Cup titles and another runner-up medal (earned just last year).
Then there are guys like Brad Davis (16 games of MLS playoff experience), Bobby Boswell (14), Ricardo Clark (14) and, of course, Brian Ching. The veteran Dynamo striker has eight goals in 22 MLS playoff contests.
So, does all that mean a thing when Houston lines up against Chicago tonight at Toyota Park? Somewhat, says Kinnear:
I think it’s an important thing but it can only go so far. I think in your preparation you don’t get as nervous because you have been there before. There are certain situations in the game where you might not get as nervous or panicky, but you still have to play the game. You can’t step on the field and say ‘I’m experienced, so we have an edge.’ I do think it helps in the run-up to the game, and in your preparation, since you have done it a couple times before it is not completely new. But you still have to play and you can only lean on experience for so much.”
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014